Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
FM Synthesis: ELI5 please!
Staff
#1
0
0
FM Synthesis: ELI5 please!

I studied this way back in college and mess with them a bit and know the sound of one when I hear it, and know how to adjust things to create sounds (without really knowing what I'm doing) and of course all the standard stuff like LFO and EG are all familiar.

I remember we had TX802s and they had this little tab on the bottom that you slid out a sheet that had a table of all the possible combinations!

That's probably what I need a refesher on...

Operator, and Carrier, and who's modulating who?

(I understand about sidebands and difference frequencies, etc.)

So for example, I opened Dexed - the last "pattern" is 1-2-3-4-5-6 across the bottom and the 6 has a loop on it - what does that mean?

Other patterns are more vertical, and there are loops in different places...

I know it's quite a complex and I can check out some sites on it, but I was hoping maybe there's an easy way to ELI5 that could be done here.

Thanks

submitted by /u/65TwinReverbRI
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Austrian Audio introduce the OC616
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 10:20 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
Shure’s MV6 gets Gen 2 upgrade
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 10:20 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
iFi audio reveal the GR2 MT
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 10:20 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
MOTU Digital Performer 12 now available
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 10:20 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Roland update Zenology GX for iPad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 10:20 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
Volt Gen 2 & Volt Max interfaces from Un...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 10:20 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
Novation launch the FLpad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 10:20 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
Phoenix from Spitfire Audio & BT
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:22 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3
Sonuscore The Pulse: Synth Wave & Epic A...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:22 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3