Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Noob Question: How to think about voices / sound sources
Staff
#1
0
0
Noob Question: How to think about voices / sound sources

I've been watching a lot of videos from FACTMagazine on youtube in the "Patch Notes" series and am fascinated by the modular.

I've understood that most modular setups are monophonic yet all of these videos I'm watching feature pads + basslines + leads. Is each one of these discrete sounds I'm hearing coming from a different sound source (ie multiple VCOs in the rack) and the output is being mixed somewhere at the end of the chain, either by a mixing module or an external mixing board? Put another way, is the number of simultaneous sounds equal to the number of sound producing modules?

It's unclear to me because many performances are using external tools that are capable of sampling so it's hard for me to tell if I'm listening to samples being triggered vs multiple sounds coming out simultaneously

I hope this question doesn't come across as low effort, but if it does please berate me for not reading X so I can go and read it Wink

submitted by /u/fuckingoverit
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Buchla Ziggy Synthesizer Now Expected To...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:42 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3
SynthSkool Intros Degauss Vintage Synth ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:42 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
Ocean Swift Intros Wave Editor For Mac &...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:42 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
Free Evolving Drone And String Synth : K...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:42 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
Spectral Sound Morpher : Dystopian Waves...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:42 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
Free Four-Track Recorder For Windows : F...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:42 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
Hands-On True-Stereo Algorithmic Reverb ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:42 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Overtonium Is A Free, Open-Source Additi...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7
Woovebox Packs A Synth, Sampler And Sequ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 08:31 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5