Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Could use some help understanding granular synthesis
Staff
#1
0
0
Could use some help understanding granular synthesis

Hey, I’m a high school student trying to understand how to use RIBS, a free digital granular synthesizer. The developer has some videos explaining it but I’m a little stuck on how grains play back in terms of modulation.

In ribs, the step feature seems to be what causes “movement” so to speak within a buffer.

My impression of this is that modulating “steps” causes a grain to move within a sample—although the actually playback is still occurring and repeating within the grain.

The “repeat” modulation effects the speed of playback within the grain.

I’m a little confused about what’s occurring when you multiply the steps by play rate, repeat, and sample—but I’m sort of just saving that for later.

I was just wondering if this is correct—and if it’s wrong could I please have an explanation of what is actually occurring?

Any other info that might help me understand ribs would be greatly appreciated

Also additional sources that might help me would be great. Thanks!

submitted by /u/PPIPLUP
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Raspel: Free plug-in from Kreuzberg Audi...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 08:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
LinnStrument limited-time offer
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 08:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Mike Beigel: 1947–2026
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 08:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Baby Audio announce HyperWarp
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 08:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7
EastWest to introduce Hollywood Scoring ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 08:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Arturia update the AstroLab
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 08:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
WaveMachine Labs Drumagog 6 arrives
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 08:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
UVI Falcon 2027 Flies The Nest with More...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 07:06 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7
Melbourne Instruments ROTO-CONTROL: 60+ ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 07:06 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7