Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
FM Synthesis: ELI5 please!
Staff
#1
0
0
FM Synthesis: ELI5 please!

I studied this way back in college and mess with them a bit and know the sound of one when I hear it, and know how to adjust things to create sounds (without really knowing what I'm doing) and of course all the standard stuff like LFO and EG are all familiar.

I remember we had TX802s and they had this little tab on the bottom that you slid out a sheet that had a table of all the possible combinations!

That's probably what I need a refesher on...

Operator, and Carrier, and who's modulating who?

(I understand about sidebands and difference frequencies, etc.)

So for example, I opened Dexed - the last "pattern" is 1-2-3-4-5-6 across the bottom and the 6 has a loop on it - what does that mean?

Other patterns are more vertical, and there are loops in different places...

I know it's quite a complex and I can check out some sites on it, but I was hoping maybe there's an easy way to ELI5 that could be done here.

Thanks

submitted by /u/65TwinReverbRI
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
TC Electronic 2290: The U2 Delay
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
EVE Audio partner with Arturia
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Analogue Solutions ship second Filtopia ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
ADAM Audio introduce the Sub8 PRO & Sub1...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
The DMNO ON from UDO Audio
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Sound Particles update Energy Panner 2 &...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Cherry Audio release Pentaphonic
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
Raspel: Free plug-in from Kreuzberg Audi...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 12:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
LinnStrument limited-time offer
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 10:20 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 13