Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Noob Question: How to think about voices / sound sources
Staff
#1
0
0
Noob Question: How to think about voices / sound sources

I've been watching a lot of videos from FACTMagazine on youtube in the "Patch Notes" series and am fascinated by the modular.

I've understood that most modular setups are monophonic yet all of these videos I'm watching feature pads + basslines + leads. Is each one of these discrete sounds I'm hearing coming from a different sound source (ie multiple VCOs in the rack) and the output is being mixed somewhere at the end of the chain, either by a mixing module or an external mixing board? Put another way, is the number of simultaneous sounds equal to the number of sound producing modules?

It's unclear to me because many performances are using external tools that are capable of sampling so it's hard for me to tell if I'm listening to samples being triggered vs multiple sounds coming out simultaneously

I hope this question doesn't come across as low effort, but if it does please berate me for not reading X so I can go and read it Wink

submitted by /u/fuckingoverit
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Apple Mac Studio with M5 Max: First Impr...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:09 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
SoundGhost release Orbit
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:09 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
iDrumTune from RT60
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:09 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3
Casio Sessions returns for 2026
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:09 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
ART Pro Audio reveal the RPC Series
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:09 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
Museum of Synthesizers present the Artur...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:09 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
ReSing Voices Vol 2 from IK Multimedia
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:09 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3
Voidscan Introduces Parasite Experimenta...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:09 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
Shear Electronics Relic Meets Anthony Ma...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 09:09 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2