Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Could use some help understanding granular synthesis
Staff
#1
0
0
Could use some help understanding granular synthesis

Hey, I’m a high school student trying to understand how to use RIBS, a free digital granular synthesizer. The developer has some videos explaining it but I’m a little stuck on how grains play back in terms of modulation.

In ribs, the step feature seems to be what causes “movement” so to speak within a buffer.

My impression of this is that modulating “steps” causes a grain to move within a sample—although the actually playback is still occurring and repeating within the grain.

The “repeat” modulation effects the speed of playback within the grain.

I’m a little confused about what’s occurring when you multiply the steps by play rate, repeat, and sample—but I’m sort of just saving that for later.

I was just wondering if this is correct—and if it’s wrong could I please have an explanation of what is actually occurring?

Any other info that might help me understand ribs would be greatly appreciated

Also additional sources that might help me would be great. Thanks!

submitted by /u/PPIPLUP
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Volt Gen 2 & Volt Max interfaces from Un...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Novation launch the FLpad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Phoenix from Spitfire Audio & BT
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Sonuscore The Pulse: Synth Wave & Epic A...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Strymon launch the La Brea
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Sync Audio release MegaMorph
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Wes Audio unveil the ngOmniBox
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 06:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
Polarity-MEQ, GRNi Lite, Lega Effect: Fr...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 02:16 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
Ambient Machines: 5 Synths and Devices f...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 02:16 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5