Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to understand the ARP 2600 (and Voltage Modular)
Staff

Hi.

I own the Arturia ARP 2600 V3 and I ran the demo for the Cherry Audio CA2600. But while playing around with these I noticed I wanted to know more about how the ARP worked inside, and so I tried to replicate part of its functionality in Voltage Modular.

In order to understand the pre-cabling of the ARP better, I used both Arturia's manual and this diagram I found online:

ARP 2600 Normals

So I basically tried to cable my modules in a way similar to this diagram.

But as I tried to replicate this in Voltage Modular, I ran into quite a few questions:

Each VCO has several "FM Control" jacks and for example the Arturia Manual describes them for VCO1 as follows:

FM Inputs: Frequency modulation input connection jacks:

• Key follow: pre-cabled for the manual setting of the (KYBD CV)

• Sample and hold: pre-cabled for the manual setting of the modulation by sample and hold (S/H out)

• ADSR Env: pre-cabled for the manual setting of the modulation by ADSR envelope

• Oscillator 2 Sin: pre-cabled for the manual setting of the modulation by sine waveform of oscillator 2 (VCO2 Sin)

How do these combine? From looking at the ARP service manual it seems like each of these inputs have differently dimensioned resistors behind them, and remembering nothing from my high school electronics class I can only wonder if this means these inputs are differently weighted before combined?

Right now I try to emulate the potentiometer sliders of each VCO by using an attenuverter for each (which is meant to give me something like the slider), but if I have to attenuate them differently I wouldn't know how much and is an attenuverter even the right part here? Like 2 attenuverters in a row - one for the setting by the user and one for adjusting the signal to its weight? I was wondering in general what goes into the VCO in terms of CV when all sliders are up...

I know this might be a fool's errand but the ARP seems rather obscure to me with its pre-cabling and patching outputs from one VCO into another. If you could help me understand the idea behind modulating VCO3 from VCO2, VCO2 from VCO1, and VCO1 from VCO2, maybe I could wrap my head around this thing...

Thanks for reading.

submitted by /u/DerKastellan
[link] [comments]