Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi keyboard suggestions for IOS - Suitability of Launchkey?
Staff
Midi keyboard suggestions for IOS - Suitability of Launchkey?

<!-- SC_OFF --><div class="md"><p>Hello!</p> <p>I'm looking to buy a 11 year old a midi keyboard for Christmas. He already plays piano. We have a Windows 10 family computer and he has his own iPhone and Ipad.</p> <p>I was looking at the Luanchkey 25 (Mini or Normal), initially because of the Ableton integration (I used Ableton briefly 10+ years ago, but am effectively a novice at all of this too) attracted me. But given Ableton isn't available on IOS devices, I think realistically the recipient is much more likely to want to be playing via his phone/ipad rather than getting set-up on the family PC.</p> <p>I was wondering:</p> <p>- What are the best software choices for IOS? How limiting is it using such a device vs a laptop setup with Ableton (bundled version)?</p> <p>- How is the Luanchkey with IOS software? Garageband seems popular - but I'm not clear how well the Novation features, designed for Ableton are easy to transfer for use in other apps.</p> <p>- Given this IOS dynamic, is Launchkey a bad choice? I confess I looked at the MPX, Launchkey and Aturia Minilab/Keystep. Many of the differences seemed to come down to personal preference - I found reviews that variously favoured one over the other - but grateful for more views.</p> <p>- Finally, if you were to pick one or two pieces of additional software/sample packs beyond the main DAW what would they be? Clearly &quot;free&quot; is good, but so many of the tutorials I've watched talk start with the DAW and Midi keyboard, but then proceed to load all manner of plugins and samples.</p> <p>I suppose a lot of this might depend on what sort of music he wants to make. To be honest... I have no idea, he listens to all sorts of things and plays a range of styles on the piano.</p> <p>Very grateful for any advice.</p> </div><!-- SC_ON --> submitted by <a href="https://www.reddit.com/user/ReadyJeff"> /u/ReadyJeff </a> <br/> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/kasxm4/midi_keyboard_suggestions_for_ios_suitability_of/">[link]</a></span> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/kasxm4/midi_keyboard_suggestions_for_ios_suitability_of/">[comments]</a></span>

Messages In This Thread
Midi keyboard suggestions for IOS - Suitability of Launchkey? - by SynthWizard - 12-10-2020, 10:58 PM