Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[Synth ID] Help identifying a glassy pad used in Paper Mario?
Staff
#1
0
0
[Synth ID] Help identifying a glassy pad used in Paper Mario?

<!-- SC_OFF --><div class="md"><p>Hey folks. Ever since I played Paper Mario as a young kid, I was <em>obsessed</em> with this synth / pad sound used in several tracks on it. I've heard it elsewhere, I'm pretty sure (see links below), but I've never been able to track it down. I know Nintendo 64 hardware generally works off sound fonts assembled from samples, but the fact that I've heard it elsewhere leads me to believe it's at least an imitation of a patch from a well-known synth, perhaps from the 80s, and to me sounds like granular synthesis, similar to the Wavestation. I'm not super familiar with synths though, so these are all guesses. Any help identifying it would honestly me so much to me.</p> <p>Examples:</p> <p><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29HNah96xWE&amp;ab_channel=gmaster2647">Paper Mario - Prologue</a> Constant tones, transposed in 5 descending pitches at the beginning. Just the synth and nothing else I think.</p> <p><a href="https://youtu.be/d8zOglaaTeY?t=15">Paper Mario - Snow Road</a> Used for several phrases in the B section of song, various pitches</p> <p><a href="https://youtu.be/gNSgdZ7-O_g?t=6">Paper Mario - Over Shiver Mountain</a> Used repeatedly for A section of song</p> <p><a href="https://youtu.be/Gsv-UXymW9U?t=4">Mystere Soundtrack - Overture</a> The only non-Paper Mario example I can think of at the moment. Used intermittently at the beginning of the piece. Pretty clearly sounds the same as the Paper Mario patch to me, albeit higher fidelity</p> </div><!-- SC_ON --> submitted by <a href="https://www.reddit.com/user/iccosahedron"> /u/iccosahedron </a> <br/> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/oa9lba/synth_id_help_identifying_a_glassy_pad_used_in/">[link]</a></span> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/oa9lba/synth_id_help_identifying_a_glassy_pad_used_in/">[comments]</a></span>
Reply


Messages In This Thread
[Synth ID] Help identifying a glassy pad used in Paper Mario? - by SynthWizard - 06-29-2021, 11:18 AM

Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Melbourne Instruments ROTO-CONTROL: 60+ ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
music2me: Online Music School with Live ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
Roland update Zenology GX for iPad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Volt Gen 2 & Volt Max interfaces from Un...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Novation launch the FLpad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Phoenix from Spitfire Audio & BT
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7
Sonuscore The Pulse: Synth Wave & Epic A...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3
Strymon launch the La Brea
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Sync Audio release MegaMorph
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5