Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Brandenburger – first polyphony with Squarp Hermod
Staff
#1
0
0
Brandenburger – first polyphony with Squarp Hermod

<!-- SC_OFF --><div class="md"><p>&#x200B;</p> <p><a href="https://preview.redd.it/q8x5zz8k1iv81.jpg?width=2048&amp;format=pjpg&amp;auto=webp&amp;s=7f4b9ce0b0f75d5d1e816dca99142a54f6a75fe9">Eurorack + 2600</a></p> <p>My Squarp Hermod arrived day before yesterday, and the first order of business was to use MIDI tracks from my DAW (Digital Performer) to drive as many voices as I could.</p> <p>This is the first movement from Bach’s Sixth Brandenburg Concerto. Everything you hear was played in real time, via MIDI from my Mac. (Please be patient while it loads, or click on the preview.)</p> <p><a href="http://memepuffs.com/BrandenburgerVI.m4v">Brandenburger VI</a></p> <p>A little background info: though I’ve been working with synths since 1972, my Eurorack journey began less than four months ago. My first priority was to integrate the new rack with my studio, with as much polyphony as I could muster.</p> <p>So yes, there’s more on the way. A second Mantis case has been on order for three months, and I’ll be adding a couple of quad VCAs, envelope generators, and filters.</p> <p>Now that I’ve got the Hermod going, my next goal is to step back from “everything at once” to recording one voice at a time, but using all the channels I can on the Hermod to control <em>expression.</em></p> <p>Dynamics, vibrato, color, inflection … all the good stuff that makes a performance musical, instead of just a music box running on autopilot.</p> <p>This track has issues … the intonation is hinky, there’s no expression … I love Wendy Carlos’s work, but this quick one-off doesn’t show that I’ve learned anything from her.</p> <p>So the next step is expression, and I’ll be using some cool generative software – <a href="https://nodalmusic.com">Nodal 2</a> – to explore that.</p> <p>Also, I haven’t begun to scratch the surface of what the Hermod can do … all I’ve used so far is its ability to act as a MIDI hub. It has extensive MIDI effects capabilities, as well as being a stand-alone sequencer.</p> <p>I’d like to thank <a href="/u/constant__sorrow">u/constant__sorrow</a> for turning me on to the Hermod … it’s just what I needed.</p> </div><!-- SC_ON --> submitted by <a href="https://www.reddit.com/user/seaboardist"> /u/seaboardist </a> <br/> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/comments/uaxif5/brandenburger_first_polyphony_with_squarp_hermod/">[link]</a></span> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/comments/uaxif5/brandenburger_first_polyphony_with_squarp_hermod/">[comments]</a></span>
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Brandenburger – first polyphony with Squarp Hermod - by SynthWizard - 04-25-2022, 05:16 PM

Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
MPC2000 Mods by vubeatz: Unlocking Hidde...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 12:36 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Overtonium, Ultiverb, ENS-86: Free Plugi...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 12:36 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
Shure’s MV6 gets Gen 2 upgrade
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 12:36 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
iFi audio reveal the GR2 MT
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 12:36 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
MOTU Digital Performer 12 now available
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 09:41 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 9
Roland update Zenology GX for iPad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 09:41 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Volt Gen 2 & Volt Max interfaces from Un...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 09:41 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7
Novation launch the FLpad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 09:41 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7
Phoenix from Spitfire Audio & BT
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 09:41 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 10