Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Modular be for me?
Staff
Could Modular be for me?

<!-- SC_OFF --><div class="md"><p>After a year or so of buying and selling hardware synthesizers and messing about with Gadget / Garage band I am wondering if modular might be my thing.</p> <p>I have had a ton of fun with some good gear but ultimately I don't think I am a &quot;producer&quot; I can spend hrs poking around in parameters and have a blast. but when its time to build sequences I am slow and &quot;empty&quot; of Ideas. The best results have been inside Garage band and Gadget and I am guessing its because its more visual than some of the hardware boxes. Even still, I am typically finding an existing tune to emulate when I do get something interesting.</p> <p>-I love the poking about to find sounds and I do like acquiring new gear.</p> <p>-This is nothing serious, but rather just a hobby to blow off steam after work. I run my own machine shop so I don't have time for &quot;all day&quot; hobbies like golf.... I need to be able to sit down with what ever free time I may or may not have and make the most of it. Plus I love music.</p> <p>-I am not wealthy but I do have the money to put towards something that makes my life better. (not afraid of the cost) Plus if this doesn't fly I can just sell it all off.</p> <p>-Love a good sequence just rolling away while changing parameters (Elektron Analog 4 is my current favorite) Plus because I'm not that skilled I can have a track or two left over for beats on it.</p> <p>-Love the new gear feeling... Not ashamed. so long as I stick to somewhat of &quot;one piece out and one piece in&quot; rule I don't feel too bad about the GAS</p> <p>- I do like sequencing beats and do OK at it.</p> <p>-Not a keyboard player...</p> <p>-Not interested in starting with software based modular.</p> <p>So my current thought would be to get into modular and see what it does for me.</p> <p>Sort of have two thoughts so far.</p> <ol> <li>a 104ish skiff with Metropolis and a full voice like a 2600 Tonestar to start. Love the 2600 sounds and the metropolis looks like a total endless blast. I know its minimal but it would be a working start.</li> <li>Something like the Rolland 500 complete. Reason being its &quot;complete&quot; and have found some good instruction courses that are built around it. I know I would change it up but having something I can learn on without hunting for videos in the beginning might be more worthwhile than building &quot;My dream rig&quot; right off the bat before I know what I want!</li> </ol> <p>I would most likely keep some of my other gear as I do enjoy it and can add it to modular. That list of gear is: Deluge, Analog rtym mk2, Analog four mk2, Digitakt, Digitone, Keystep.</p> <p>I know this group will most likely say &quot;Jump in&quot; but I figured I might find some others that have had similar feelings. Plus if I ask the Elektron forum I will prolly just have a Mod tell me to Read the manual....</p> <p>&#x200B;</p> <p>Anyway, that's my rant.</p> <p>Thanks for reading!</p> </div><!-- SC_ON --> submitted by <a href="https://www.reddit.com/user/Pagoda-100"> /u/Pagoda-100 </a> <br/> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/comments/evo4e6/could_modular_be_for_me/">[link]</a></span> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/comments/evo4e6/could_modular_be_for_me/">[comments]</a></span>

Messages In This Thread
Could Modular be for me? - by SynthWizard - 01-30-2020, 08:39 PM