Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help Me Pick My Home Setup
Staff
Please Help Me Pick My Home Setup

<!-- SC_OFF --><div class="md"><p>Recently moved to a different state and had to sell off most of my synth gear prior to that. Now that we're finally getting properly settled in, I want to build out a modest setup anew in my home office.</p> <p>The intended use will be mostly DAWless jamming for my own amusement, but I may dabble with software instruments from time to time (I have a license for Pianoteq and Cinematic Studio Strings, as an example). </p> <p>I was able to bring the following with me to get started with: a pair of Neumann KH 120 monitors, a Yamaha Reface CS, and a Source Audio Nemesis and Ventris pedal. I did also recently pick up a Motu M2 to act as an audio interface for my PC, which I use with a Sennheiser e935 mic.</p> <p>----------</p> <p>Was thinking of adding a Novation SL MkIII 61 as a master keyboard to control everything. It seems like a quality controller and I appreciate the usefulness of the key lights for scales, etc. However, I also really hate the idea of spending that much on just a controller alone when I'm not even planning to use a DAW much at all. The alternative idea is to get an actual hardware synth in a similar price bracket with a solid keybed to double as a master controller, in which case the Modal Cobalt 8X is extremely appealing for not that much more money.</p> <p>Two other instruments that I've been lusting for:</p> <p>1) Audiothingies Micromonsta 2 - always wanted the original and it just seems like such a great value that I could fit easily on the empty space of the panel of either keyboard mentioned above.</p> <p>2) Novation Circuit Tracks - like the Micromonsta, always wanted to own the original Circuit and the new one is even more tempting.</p> <p>----------</p> <p>Finally, a few questions:</p> <p>1) If you were in my shoes, what direction would you choose: a proper controller like the Novation and build from there or go with a hardware synth to fill that role, like the Cobalt 8X, to get the most bang for your buck?</p> <p>2) Does it make sense to own all four of the combo mentioned (Cobalt 8X, Reface CS, Micromonsta 2, Circuit Tracks) or is there too much overlap there? Any other choices I should be considering instead?</p> <p>3) Lastly, I was also thinking about picking up a Tascam Model 12 to serve as the mixer for all of my gear, including the synths being discussed and possibly some electronic drums in the future, etc. Does this seem a prudent enough choice for a DAWless approach or overkill?</p> <p>----------</p> <p>Your opinions, advice and critiques are very welcome and most appreciated. Thank you for your time!</p> </div><!-- SC_ON --> submitted by <a href="https://www.reddit.com/user/712Jefferson"> /u/712Jefferson </a> <br/> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/lr60xg/please_help_me_pick_my_home_setup/">[link]</a></span> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/lr60xg/please_help_me_pick_my_home_setup/">[comments]</a></span>

Messages In This Thread
Please Help Me Pick My Home Setup - by SynthWizard - 02-24-2021, 02:51 AM