Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some advices on building my rack.
Staff
Need some advices on building my rack.

<!-- SC_OFF --><div class="md"><p>Hi folks! I am a bit new to euroracks and want to build my own. So, I have some noob questions here.</p> <p>I already have Minibrute 2s and Rackbrute 6U with Doepfer A-174-4, Make Noise Maths and Mutable Instruments Beads in it. I want to achieve ability to do something with 2-3 layers (bass + lead + maybe some other voice) with drums on Digitakt (because as I understood to create drums on eurorack I would need to build dedicated rack for drums Smile ) and also to be able to do some pretty basic ambient (not at the same time). This not necessary need to sound professional, just to be fun to play with. I have an idea what I want to do next: <a href="https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1742957">https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1742957</a>, but I need your advices, because I have doubts and questions.</p> <p><strong>What balance do I need to keep between oscillators/filters/modulators/performance/utility amounts?</strong> I have read there that it would be better to focus on modulators/performance stuff, so I think I need to have oscillators/filters with a lot of interesting inputs for modulations. (How many oscillators do I need? As many as desired voices/more? How many filters do I need? As many as desired voices/less/more?)</p> <p><strong>Do I need headphones out?</strong> As far as I understand, I can't put my sound to the output of Minibrute, without the sound of Minibrute (for example, I can't take sound from Minibrute's amp and fully pass it though the Beads). Is the easiest solution would be to put dedicated out in my rack?</p> <p>It looks like my <strong>Rackbrute 6U is 89 HP</strong>, and not 88. <strong>Can I exploit it? Smile</strong></p> <p><strong>Do I need mults?</strong> I have read that I can use stackcables to not put mults in my rack, but I keep seeing mult modules in people's rack here. Why? Is it more convenient?</p> <p><strong>What actually utility modules (like Mutable Instruments Kinks) are for?</strong> Are they useful only if I want to create complex gate sequences by somehow &quot;multiplying&quot; more simple ones?</p> <p>I can sequence my rack with Minibrute's sequencer and with Keystep 37 (maybe I will get a Pro later, it looks cool), but <strong>maybe I need some randomized sequencers?</strong> (it sounds interesting) Which one do you recommend and what would you replace with it? (I would prefer sequencer where you can push button/give a gate signal and re-generate sequence by some rules/in scale, so I can stop when it sounds good, and not that type where it generate some notes and if it sounded good then it <em>sounded</em> good Smile )</p> <p><strong>Do I need clock generator/modulator?</strong> (Pamela's new Workout?) Do sequencers cover this functions?</p> <p><strong>I don't really know how to arrange my modules.</strong> I think something like performance things and frequently-twiddleable knobs (like cutoff) must be on top, so no cables will be on top of faders/knobs?</p> <p>Also, I am really afraid that I will build not rack which would be interesting to play with, but 2-3 independent <strong>basic boring oscillator-filter-amp voices</strong>. <strong>How to avoid this?</strong> I have looked on other racks in this thread, and they looks like they contain more &quot;strange&quot; and &quot;odd&quot; modules (like QPAS (it looks interesting) or other Make Noise stuff or Mutable Instruments Ears) than mine, but I don't know which modules to replace with which. How many modules must be &quot;useful and straightforward&quot; and how many &quot;strange and interesting&quot;? How many modules can I allow myself to be &quot;boring&quot;? Smile</p> <p><strong>Is it normal to buy not regular 1hp, but 1hp power checker just for beautiful LEDs?</strong></p> <p>Optional-reading-explanation why I have chosen this modules:</p> <p><strong>Lapsus 0s</strong>: I heard from <a href="https://youtu.be/WcvvYPu6cow?t=703">Ricky Tinez</a>, that this thing is good as faders for performance, and also somewhere here I have read that having an offset module is important.</p> <p><strong>Stages</strong> (x2): I really like idea of Stages, that you can build your own complex modulator with a large number of stages or just have a lot of independent basic envelopes/lfos, also lfo can be synced to clock and be modulated (so I can create ratchet?), and it sounds like very cool idea to connect two Stages together (12 stages modulator!). But maybe Stages x2 are too many for so small rack?</p> <p><strong>Generate 3</strong>: many people in this thread recommend this oscillator and it looks pretty versatile.</p> <p><strong>Blades</strong>: I think I need a filter besides which I have in Minibrute (moreover, there are no filter out on Minibrute, so I can't take the filtered signal bypassing Minibrute's amp), and I really like this variant because of built-in drive/wavefolder, cutoff shift and continuous lowpass-bandpass-highpass.</p> <p><strong>Veils</strong>: I need VCA's and mixer. At first I looked at Intellijel's Quad VCA, but veils have faders (so it looks similar to Lapsus), smaller and have offset knobs.</p> <p><strong>Outs</strong>: question about them above.</p> <p><strong>A-174-4</strong>: 3D joystick, looks fun.</p> <p><strong>Lich</strong>: I want to try to write some code for it, so I will buy it to play with it anyway, its not like I buying it for some dedicated function.</p> <p><strong>Rings</strong>: looks like interesting oscillator which can do even more interesting things if I will feed an audio into its external input.</p> <p><strong>Data</strong>: I really want oscilloscope and thing which can draw voltage going into it. Also it can be an oscillator.</p> <p><strong>Beads</strong>: reverb/delay/granular. I know it can be wavetable oscillator, but I guess I will feed some audio into it to use as effects most of the time.</p> <p><strong>Maths</strong>: slope limiter, which can be used as regular envelope/lfo. I already used it as <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L10PjCdSJqA">subharmonicon</a> and it's fun.</p> <p>Thank you in advance. Smile</p> </div><!-- SC_ON --> submitted by <a href="https://www.reddit.com/user/Perucmpamypa"> /u/Perucmpamypa </a> <br/> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/comments/r9xn74/need_some_advices_on_building_my_rack/">[link]</a></span> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/comments/r9xn74/need_some_advices_on_building_my_rack/">[comments]</a></span>

Messages In This Thread
Need some advices on building my rack. - by SynthWizard - 12-07-2021, 09:04 AM