Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with decision - and some noobie questions
Staff
Need help with decision - and some noobie questions

<!-- SC_OFF --><div class="md"><p>Dear <a href="/r/synthesizers">r/synthesizers</a> members,</p> <p>I am here again with another question. In the last topic I asked for your input on monosynth vs. polysynth (which one to get as first). I choosed monosynth, semi-modular and a type with no presets so it will force me to be creative. </p> <p>However I would like to decide between 2 synths. One is a Korg MS-20 mini (with SQ-1 sequencer) and the other one is a Moog Grandmother. I personally leaning towards the korg set for the following reasons:</p> <p>- Cheaper in price (even with the SQ-1 added)<br/> - More massive filter sweeps achievable (2 filters against one in the moog), so more interesting sounds<br/> - Smaller<br/> - Design and layout gives me the feel of more options<br/> - Patch bay seems more beginner friendly<br/> - Dedicated external signal input/chain for external instruments (like guitar, which I plan to use)<br/> - Comes with 10 patch cables (against 6 on the Moog)</p> <p>The things I like about the Moog Grandmother:</p> <p>- Nice colored design<br/> - Spring reverb<br/> - More output options (see later)</p> <p>Things I dont like about the GM:</p> <p>- Pricey as hell<br/> - QC problems scare me.</p> <p>Thing I do not care about when buying a synth:</p> <p>- Keybed (mini or full)<br/> - Effects (I have guitars with several effect pedals)</p> <p>My only concern is that the Korg only has dedicated MIDI input (no dedicated MIDI output), however through USB I can use both input and output. I dont know if thats a big compromise or just something I can live with it. I plan to use it with FL Studio so I think I am fine with the USB only option.</p> <p>So which one would you recommend? The Korg MS-20 with Sequencer or the Moog Grandmother? I am 80:20 towards the Korg set.</p> <p>Thanks for your help in advance!</p> <p>P.S.: I will eventually try out the MS-20 controls as it is available as a VST instrument.</p> </div><!-- SC_ON --> submitted by <a href="https://www.reddit.com/user/Wasendak1"> /u/Wasendak1 </a> <br/> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/x0iojk/need_help_with_decision_and_some_noobie_questions/">[link]</a></span> <span><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/x0iojk/need_help_with_decision_and_some_noobie_questions/">[comments]</a></span>

Messages In This Thread
Need help with decision - and some noobie questions - by SynthWizard - 08-29-2022, 05:55 AM