Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Modular be for me?
Staff
Could Modular be for me?

After a year or so of buying and selling hardware synthesizers and messing about with Gadget / Garage band I am wondering if modular might be my thing.

I have had a ton of fun with some good gear but ultimately I don't think I am a "producer" I can spend hrs poking around in parameters and have a blast. but when its time to build sequences I am slow and "empty" of Ideas. The best results have been inside Garage band and Gadget and I am guessing its because its more visual than some of the hardware boxes. Even still, I am typically finding an existing tune to emulate when I do get something interesting.

-I love the poking about to find sounds and I do like acquiring new gear.

-This is nothing serious, but rather just a hobby to blow off steam after work. I run my own machine shop so I don't have time for "all day" hobbies like golf.... I need to be able to sit down with what ever free time I may or may not have and make the most of it. Plus I love music.

-I am not wealthy but I do have the money to put towards something that makes my life better. (not afraid of the cost) Plus if this doesn't fly I can just sell it all off.

-Love a good sequence just rolling away while changing parameters (Elektron Analog 4 is my current favorite) Plus because I'm not that skilled I can have a track or two left over for beats on it.

-Love the new gear feeling... Not ashamed. so long as I stick to somewhat of "one piece out and one piece in" rule I don't feel too bad about the GAS

- I do like sequencing beats and do OK at it.

-Not a keyboard player...

-Not interested in starting with software based modular.

So my current thought would be to get into modular and see what it does for me.

Sort of have two thoughts so far.

1. a 104ish skiff with Metropolis and a full voice like a 2600 Tonestar to start. Love the 2600 sounds and the metropolis looks like a total endless blast. I know its minimal but it would be a working start.
  2. Something like the Rolland 500 complete. Reason being its "complete" and have found some good instruction courses that are built around it. I know I would change it up but having something I can learn on without hunting for videos in the beginning might be more worthwhile than building "My dream rig" right off the bat before I know what I want!

I would most likely keep some of my other gear as I do enjoy it and can add it to modular. That list of gear is: Deluge, Analog rtym mk2, Analog four mk2, Digitakt, Digitone, Keystep.

I know this group will most likely say "Jump in" but I figured I might find some others that have had similar feelings. Plus if I ask the Elektron forum I will prolly just have a Mod tell me to Read the manual....

Anyway, that's my rant.

Thanks for reading!

submitted by /u/Pagoda-100
[link] [comments]