Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My head is swimming with sequencers
Staff
My head is swimming with sequencers

I'm looking for a sequencer to control the following:

KORG Volca (Keys for now, perhaps a different one in the future)

KORG NTS-1 (has no on-board sequencer)

Both would be hooked up via a MIDI Y-splitter cable for now, and I'm hoping to expand in the future

A Pocket Operator will also be part of this ensemble, but POs can't be easily sequenced from external gear, so that doesn't really matter. Currently I have the PO-32 Tonic, but might trade that out in the future.

I also have a KORG Minilogue XD which I would use at home, but not as much for jams or traveling. I really like the onboard sequencer, but it would be nice to be able to create sequences longer than 16 steps.

As research, I've watched lots of comparison videos, read various articles, and I've read through this whole thread in which someone asked roughly the same question:

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/b65msx/beatstep_pro_vs_electribe_vs_novation_circuit_vs/

That person's budget appears to be larger than mine, and the Keystep Pro wasn't out at that time, otherwise I figure the advice holds.

My ideal budget is in the $100-$200 range, but I can stretch to $500ish.

I was sold on the Keystep until I learned that it can only output one sequence via MIDI, so I could for example play a sequence on the NTS-1 and then play the Volca live on a different MIDI channel. I would prefer to be able to play a sequence on both synths at once, or a different sequence on each. It seems that the Keystep can't do this, so I would be relying on the Volca's built-in sequencer (which is not bad, but limited to 16 steps).

The Arturia Keystep Pro ($400 new) is a pretty ideal beast for what I want, but it is pretty expensive since it is brand new.

It was suggested that I look at the Beatstep Pro, which lead me down a rabbit-hole. The BSP used goes for $210-$250. If I'm looking at that price range, that opens up the possibility of getting a groovebox that can also function as a sequencer. That seems like a much better deal overall, since the groovebox can fill out the sound by adding drum parts, etc, and it gives me something travel-friendly when can't bring along my bigger synths. So in that same price range, we have:

Novation Circuit ($230 B stock, up to $300, none local)

KORG Electribe 2 ($250 with local pickup option, closer to $300 shipped)

KORG Electribe 2 Sampler ($300 shipped, none local)

Teenage Engineering OP-Z ($450 used, local pickup)

Teenage Engineering OP-Z + op lab module ($475 used, shipped)

The OP-Z clearly wins in size and portability, and it functions as a USB MIDI host, which opens up tons of possibilities to use a separate USB-only MIDI keyboard/controller with it, which definitely appeals to me. But for the price I could get the Keystep Pro (which is not a groovebox, but perhaps a better choice). Based on comments in that other thread, the OP-Z is far more capable than the Circuit or Electribes. I think I would need the op lab module as well, to control external synths. I'm not sold on the tiny buttons, I think I would enjoy larger pads or keys more.

I watched several videos comparing the Circuit and Electribes, and out of those two I think the Electribes appeal to me more. Specifically, the Sampler version adds a lot of functionality that I don't already have with my other synths. The big limitation of the Electribe series appears to be yet another max 16 step sequencer, though I've read it does support sequence chaining, so that's good. I've also read that it keeps you pretty locked into the grid, so not as good for ambient.

So my questions are:

1. The Keystep Pro has a '4 track sequencer', does that mean it can control up to 4 separate hardware synths simultaneously, sending a different sequence to each one?
  2. Is the OP-Z worth the extra money compared to the cheaper options? Again, my primary use for it would be as a sequencer, but I would also use the onboard synths a bit as well (as I got used to it over time, I expect I would use them more and more).
  3. How is using the OP-Z without an iOS device as a screen?
  4. Can the Electribes do sequences that aren't in multiples of 16 steps? For example, a 9 step sequence?
  5. Anything else I should be looking at beyond what I've listed here?
  6. What do you use and love, and what is collecting dust?

The music I play is generally in the realm of dance music (and for that, 16 steps is fine), industrial, or ambient (this is where I would prefer to have odd step lengths). However, I'm still early in my musical explorations, so I don't want to get a piece of gear that locks me into a particular thing.

submitted by /u/minimal-camera
[link] [comments]