Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DFAM or Microvolt 3900 or jump into Eurorack or... or...
Staff
DFAM or Microvolt 3900 or jump into Eurorack or... or...

A little less than a year ago I made some life changes, mainly I got sober, but I also got back into making music. Growing up in the 90s and 2000s I dabbled with noise and industrial. For a variety of reasons I stopped, and, as part of my sobriety I’ve been trying to find new hobbies. So... back to music.

I currently have the following: Boog OP-Z Toraiz AS-1 Alesis Fusion 6 (I hate it. Needs to be sold) NI Maschine (doesn’t inspire me, but, I do like Komplete) Studio One 4 Zoom H5

I want to ditch the Fusion. Frankly, I hate it. Lately I’ve been gathering supplies to learn DIY electronics/Eurorack.

I told myself that when I made one year sober I would buy myself something new and exciting. The music that I strive to create is more in the Cevin Key/Skinny Puppy vein, with some Alessandro Cortini thrown in for good measure. Part of my lifestyle change has involved paying off my debt, which is holding me back in many ways. That being said, it’s almost time to celebrate, and I’m not sure which way to go here.

My options: -DFAM: I freaking love this thing. So inspiring to play with and listen to

-Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900: love the sound, LOVE the idea of basic west coast inspired synthesis

-Argon 8x: because fuck the Alesis Fusion, but I need a keyboard.

-Neutron + TB-3 + Waldorf Streichfett. It’s amazing how cheap Thomann is. Lots of bang for your buck here, and I would love to have all three of these.

-More DIY Eurorack supplies, and assorted PCBs, including a LYRA 8 pcb, a Befaco Rampage, etc

I honestly think I’d be happy with any of these, and I’m SURE I’m missing a thousand things. Anyone want to talk me into OR out of any of these? Anyone want to donate your spare DFAM ? All input is appreciated. Thanks everyone! For what it’s worth, I’m in the dc area, And can hit Chuck Levin’s to try the DFAM (again,) but not much else.

TLDR: Got sober, celebrating one year, want to buy something new. But I’m broke. DFAM, Microvolt 3900 or blah blah blah

submitted by /u/errrdan
[link] [comments]