Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suitable audio interface for hardware setup?
Staff
Suitable audio interface for hardware setup?

Hi all. I know this isn't specifically about a synth, but it's definitely related. I currently have a Scarlett 2i4, with Ableton Push 2 and Suite 10. That's fine and all, but I'm buying some new hardware to try playing around with that side of things. I already have a Novation Nova desktop, but for whatever reason, just haven't been able to get it to play nice in my setup. I know it's a great unit, so I'm hanging onto it. My next move is buying an Arturia Keylab 49 Mkii, which comes bundled with the full V Collection 6. At the same time, I'm getting a Beatstep Pro, and possibly one of the Volca drum range. Later, I'll be adding the Arturia Minibrute 2, and possibly more of the volcas. Hopefully, I can get the Nova working with the BSP, and be off.

So, with extra hardware, I need an interface with more inputs. I don't mind if it's just a regular interface that needs a computer, but I guess if I can find a good usb mixer that can work dawless, that might be a good thing so I can retain the option of using it in a live setup, or just not have to worry about using the computer all the damn time.

So, I have been looking at the Scarlett 18i8 3rd gen, which is comfortably in my price range. What I would like to know is, do you have any suggestions for other interfaces, or usb mixers that can work dawless? Let me add that I do not need a dc coupled interface, as I will not be going modular (semi is enough) and the keylab mkii has a cv in which translates the cv into midi anyway, so it's moot.

I'm not fussy about brands - Focusrite, Presonus, Motu, whatever, it doesn't matter - I just want whatever gets me those extra inputs, and if possible, lets me work without the computer. Sure, I've googled and youtubed and looked for options already, but community discussions often reveal better answers, so I'm asking you, who own and know the gear already. (Also, I'll keep my Scarlett 2i4 and integrate it into an aggregate device for 2 extra inputs, so that's a bonus.)

I can spend up to about $800 without a problem, but I'd really prefer not to go any higher than that - I'm already spending quite a bit on the other hardware already. However, if the right choice needs a bit more cash - Well, it won't put me on the streets, so I can always consider it.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/chastity-spider
[link] [comments]