Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
x-post r/volcas: Share your philosophy/organizing principles on kit setup!
Staff
x-post r/volcas: Share your philosophy/organizing principles on kit setup!

I posed this discussion prompt to other Volca Drum users, but it certainly is relevant to all drum synth peeps. So I share here, where there are more fish for my net.

The long and short of it is that I'm fairly novice (vDrum is my first synth since 1yr ago, n I've recently added one mono/para synth) to making tracks with synthesizers, and I'm really curious about everyone's approach to kit/part setup for whatever practical application, be it jam- or song-focused, or non-focused. I'm talking about the placement and order of parts within a given kit save, but also how those are purposed within the kit bank. Starting-point templates? Synthmata Links organized in PC folders? Total anarchy? Is every track a brand new venture? What balance between approaches? I'm really encouraging everyone to gush about their approache(s), no matter how confident they are. I think the whole community has something to gain from this type of chat, and I haven't found a post that's focused on this yet.

FWIW: with so many wacky combinations of sounds from kit to kit (obvious k-sn-ch-oh drum machine layout, mostly chks, all kicks, tonal percussion, pad-type sounds, etc) I get looost quickly, and trying different kits per a given program can be either inspirational or frustrating and stultifying with the volca's copy/paste interface.

I'm asking because I adore the complexity and experimental nature of synthesis but also do best when there aren't so many weeds to get lost in, and after a year with this thing I feel really behind on "fluency". Of course that's mostly about spending as much time as possible having engaging fun with any device, but I want to incorporate as wide a set of insights as I can to accelerate and inform my growth - and anyone's growth who could end up reading this!

thanks!

submitted by /u/laggwav
[link] [comments]