Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about the samples in ROMplers
Staff
Questions about the samples in ROMplers

Long story short, I got Omnisphere during the Black Friday deals. It's got the ability to use samples as "waveforms" much like a ROMpler, since it's not intended to be Kontakt or a sampler, but it is a synth engine primarily. It seems like Eric Persing took the idea of early ROMplers to the extreme, but in software form. It got me to thinking if it was possible to come up with a few patches or even entire libraries based on my favorite ROMpler sounds from the D-50 and JV-1080. I think I could come up with a way of capturing the raw samples from my hardware. It would be a good exercise for me to learn Omnisphere by translating patches from a synth I know really well to Omnisphere, especially if I can use the original samples and waveforms. (I realize there is a lot more in terms of things like the characteristics of filters/resonance/etc. that may make it difficult to get exact results.)

My question is: Are there any legal reasons I shouldn't do this? Are those samples that exist on hardware copyrighted in any sense? If I make them, are they off-limits to share whether for money or even free? My gut feeling is no, since people sample drums and synths all the time, but capturing the raw samples might feel like I've crossed a line somewhere.

On a related note, is there any way to get the raw data from the samples without recording them? Or is that the big no-no?

submitted by /u/ElGuaco
[link] [comments]