Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quest for a semi-modular Drum Machine – making it redundant by a semimodular synth.
Staff
Quest for a semi-modular Drum Machine – making it redundant by a semimodular synth.

Hello,

our beloved market of semi-modulars definitely lacks a semi-modular drum machine. For me, existing drum machines are or very limited in the matter of synthesis (cowbell ehm ehm) or are capable of nice synthesis, but its parameters cannot be controlled by external gear (like ADX-1), which makes a problem when recreating a timbrally complex pattern.

On the other hand, DFAM, which is I think the only semi-modular drum machine there, is more a simple fm synth than a true drum machine. Or am I wrong?

My questions are following:

1) What synth would you choose if you were to completely replace a drum machine for a synth in your setup?

2) What are your ideas or practices regarding turning your semi-modular synth into a drum machine and what are your best candidates for this role in such a setup? I watched many content on YT about Neutron, 0-coast, Minibrute, where artists are creating really nice things, but maybe you have another ideas or your own music as example? I'm wondering about above mentioned and also Moog's SubH, Dreadbox Nyx 2 (with it's delays), how would they managed in this role.

3) What are the features to look at? I believe that midi programmable envelope knobs could be really useful here (B. Crave, SubH and SE-02 have such a thing). Also more than one filter could be nice (however maybe in something smaller than Polybrute). Some nice FM options are welcome too.

From what I researched Arturia's Minibrute 2s seems to be closest to the ideal. The trick is (beside clever patching) to set the mix together noise and orc, turn on filter key tracking and play alternately very low note (noise filtered, osc sounding) and high note (noise dominates orc frequency).

The reason I pose this question is that in my arrangements I still lack any drum patterns. However, I am heavily focused on synthesis and voice leading, and I want to choose a semi-modular which could be turned into drum machine for a live set (or vice-versa). So no "opposition of synth vs. drum machine" way of thinking, but not so experimental to loose the touch of harmonic voice-leading.

Thanks for reading and contribution\\\\\

submitted by /u/ArturJD96
[link] [comments]