Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Interfaces in 2020?
Staff
Audio Interfaces in 2020?

I am currently using a convoluted system of audio interfaces to multi track record. I have a Motu Ultralite Mk4 feeding 8 channels of ADAT (plus clock) to my Focusrite 18i8 (1st gen). Ideally that would be the other way around because I want to use the Motu’s on board DSP mixer and DC coupled outputs (without resorting to using the SPDIF out on my 18i8 to feed a signal to the Motu). Unfortunately the Focusrite only has ADAT in... sigh.

So I am looking to replace the Focusrite with some sort of 8 channel A/D D/A converter, with ADAT out and in. I don’t need preamps, but it appears most of the devices out there are 8 channel preamps.

Right now I’m looking at Motu’s 8Pre, which looks ok but sadly uses Motu’s old CueMix software and would love it to be inline with my Mk4, I know that it shouldn’t matter in standalone mode, but I’d love to keep things consistent if I’m using the same brands 8 channel expander. And just keep things more open for future expansion.

Another option from Motu that does use its latest DSP is the 828es, much more expensive, but is much more current in terms of tech and would allow for more expansion options down the line should I need it. It also has a nice big monitor level knob and hardware mute button for my monitors which I really would love to have (the Ultralite sadly does not have an easily accessible mute option on the front panel!) If I got this it would be my primary interface with the ultralite feeding ADAT into it. I have heard of some Mac driver instability however and that worries me a bit :/

Outside of Motu I have seen quite a few people using the Behringer ADA8200. Lots of folks say it’s a cheap way to get more ins, but have also heard they are prone to failures... I’d also rather not support B. And I’d really like my ins/outs on the back of the unit.

Another option is the Focusrite OctoPre or the OctoPre Dynamic. I actually don’t think the regular OctoPre will work because I need it to have ADAT in, to be able to feed it a clock signal from my Ultralite. So I’d be looking at $600 for the Dynamic version which makes me think why not spend a few hundred more and just go with the 828es.

I know of all the ES modules that provide ADAT but I’d rather keep my interfaces out of the box. And my Motu offers the DC coupled outs for what I need.

Curious if there are any other options I should be looking at to expand my Ultralite? Any favorites? Any to avoid? Anything older and super cheap used that would work via ADAT?

submitted by /u/junkestar
[link] [comments]