Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback on major rack expansion plans
Staff
Feedback on major rack expansion plans

Hey all! I'm looking for thoughts on my planned rack expansion. Right now, I have an Intellijel 7U performance case and I'm planning to expand into a second performance case with the joiners. I've planned out the next modules I'd want to get to fill that space based on what I'm looking for out of the instrument. I have some of these modules, and don't have many of them. I'm looking for feedback on my overall expansion plan, and/or recommendations that might help me better articulate my goals.

The rack i'm discussing can be found here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1451604

For reference, the current state of my rack is here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1220152

For the top case (the first three rows). This is the main instrument. I'd want most of the soundmaking/sound design stuff to happen up here. I've got my complex oscillator, some digital sounds, effects, and some EG/LFO modulation. There are some utilities up here as well, albeit not a ton. The goal for this would be sort of a standalone synth, that I could "play" with any controller. I could bring it to a friends place and play it with their MIDI controller. I could pair it with a different rack and use their sequencers. It doesn't have a ton of playability by itself, but I could patch it as a drone and do alright (o_C and disting would help a lot here).

The second case (rows 4-6) is my super modular controller. All the sequencing is here, as well as all the more complex modulation. My interface modules (es-9 and the pedal IOs) live here too. There's a decent amount of open space here, so I could get some extra utility too, like switches or more voltage processing. In the long run, I might add some sampling modules here too, to turn it into a bit more of a standalone box, but for now it's the controller. The goal here would be that this doesn't really leave my desk, but could be a cool controller for any synth with CV input. It's geared towards the top rack, but I could use it with my 0-coast, or any other synth I pick up in the future. Ignore plaits and spectrum - they're modules I have now but likely wouldn't be in the main rack when this is all said and done.

The bottom row is just a pod 64X I have. I'm not sure what I want to do with that yet, so no need to worry about it. I'm mostly using it as extra space on modular grid to hold extra modules that I'm not sure what I want to do with.

So, that's my idea. I think I've picked out modules that would let me get where I want to go, but I've never designed or thought through a system this big, so I'm definitely curious what feedback you guys might have. Am I missing any crucial utilities? Too few VCAs? What should I be thinking about before making this pretty huge jump into a second case.

submitted by /u/devolution710
[link] [comments]