Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Allen & Heat ZEDi 10 and Ableton External Audio Effect
Staff
Using Allen & Heat ZEDi 10 and Ableton External Audio Effect

Hello everyone,

Total noob here. I've recently purchased a A&H ZEDi10 (not the FX one), which I intend to use both as a portable live performance mixer, and, more importantly as a production tool/audio interface in my bedroom studio.

The ZEDi10 is good in some ways, but not so good in others. It allows up to 4 tracks multi-track recording, but those 4 tracks are either inputs 1-4 dry (means bypassing all eq-ing and FX send), or channel 1&2 plus master left and right, or channel 1&2 plus FX and AUX.

This is kind of ok for what I need, but not really. I have one mono synth, a poli synth and a guitar, and I can in theory record the dry signal of these 3 things simultaneously (using 2 mono inputs as a stereo input for the poli synth). But one thing that is highly frustrating, is that I'm an ex guitarist and I own a pedal board which I'm struggling to integrate in the production progress. Sure, I can send individual tracks to the FX send, but this is for monitoring only, this won't be recorded in the DAW (I'm using Ableton). Or, I can do one instrument at the time, using the input 1&2 + master left&right config to record dry and wet signal of that particular instrument, but that's hell of a lot of unplugging and replugging, it kinda kills my creativity.

So, one work around that I figured I could go for, is to record my sessions in multi track using all instruments at ones, using the FX sends to monitor but recording dry, and then processing each individual audio track in Ableton back into my FX pedal board using the External Audio Effect plugin. But, being the noob that I am, I don't seem to be able to make this work!

I've watched several tutorials on youtube on how to use that plugin, but they all show you how to use it with a audio interface like a Scarlett. Is there a way to do it with the ZEDi10, do you think? And if yes, whats the correct routing?

Finally, this solution is better than tracking each instrument individually each time, but still not great. Am I missing a better trick?

I thank you in advance for your advice and guidance ?

submitted by /u/postpowpow
[link] [comments]