Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guitarist with RSI finding some happiness in the Modular/Eurorack realm
Staff
Guitarist with RSI finding some happiness in the Modular/Eurorack realm

I've been playing guitar to too many years to count, and have worked in IT almost as long. Over the years I've developed repetitive stress injures to my wrists, hands, and elbows associated with hours at a keyboard/mouse and while I take the recommended breaks and do the stretches these issues make it painful and difficult to play my guitars.

I even stopped playing for a couple of years but found I really missed creating music, then I sort of stumbled onto Synthwave/Cyberpunk and was hooked. Picked up Ableton and have really enjoyed having that creative musical outlet again. Hell I've even released an EP of Synthwavey/Cyberpunky music on Bandcamp. Yet even with using Ableton there were issues, even more keyboard/mouse time, and it was just missing something. I've tried to transition to piano keys, but to be honest I'm not a keys player.

At the end of last year I took the plunge into the modular/eurorack pool and I am hooked. It feels like I'm playing an instrument again. It gets me away from the computer, gets my music making into a more hands on mode. I'm still learning, still struggling with making interesting sequences (Only have the Beatstep Pro currently, with a busted gate out on track 1) but damn the playing with the patches to see what sounds I can coax out of this box of blinky lights is really satisfying.

For Example: Last night I used the Erica Synths Wavetable VCO set to the vowel table and modulated the wave CV using Maths to create a controlled sweep across the waveform. Sequenced it with an arp and as I tweaked some things and adding in some effects it hit me. That old feeling I got when playing my guitar. I broke out into a huge smile and got a bit misty eyed.

I am so very grateful for being able to make music and have it feel like I'm playing again. I'm really looking forward to continuing this journey.

submitted by /u/0DayAudio
[link] [comments]