Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for getting started?
Staff
Tips for getting started?

I play classical piano to a good level, and I love it. I've been working on improv and that's going well, on the acoustic piano.

I'm also trying to make music with a synth setup, but it's kind of bewildering, and I've not found much help online that works for me. I really like electronic music.

I have a Roland Jdxi, that's got digital and analog synth plus a drum kit. Also an old Roland xp-10, because I wanted a full size keyboard, since playing the keys is my top skill and I could get pretty flashy with that. I put those synths on a 2 tier rack. I have a Yamaha digital piano with weighted keys too, p35, I think. (Most venues seem to have something like that i can borrow so I don't have to schlep it). There's a basic mixing board from Behringer and I output the sound into some old Roland keyboard speakers with reasonable bass. I played on stage a few times with a group in small venues and I couldn't hear myself, and I think these speakers might help with that, plus they're good for practice.

I'm already good with computers, fair with Audacity, and have some general knowledge of the physics of sound from physics classes. I know lots of music theory.

I just don't get how to put it all together and get something that doesn't sound really boring. And then I don't want the same sounds through the whole song, such as the drum track I program. I want to mix it up a bit but I seriously doubt I could push all those buttons correctly in a performance and not mess up.

Maybe I'm supposed to have a laptop up on stage with that prerecorded?

The Roland videos were not helpful. There's so much jargon! They seem geared to people who already know a lot about synths and just need a quick orientation to that model.

If I could get pointed in a good direction, that would help. I'm thrashing about inefficiently. I have loads of skills already.

Thank you for any ideas!

submitted by /u/Timetravel-cat
[link] [comments]