Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
synthesizers for a new studio.
Staff
#1
0
0
synthesizers for a new studio.

Hi there,

​

Would like to start my question with a little disclaimer; so far my research has showed that many of the synthesizer people don't like to assign particular equipment to musical genres, however I'll kindly ask to bear with me. I also realise that a lot of synthesizers are capable of a very wide variety of sounds and it mostly depends on the users effort and programming, I enjoy starting with an INIT patch and don't mind menu-diving. The analog/digital oscillator discussion does not bother me at all as I mostly see it as nostalgia induced elitist "fanboyism," filters however seem to be another story.

​

I make and want to continue making mainly ambient music mixed with drum & bass elements, techno, acid house as well as deep house.

​

I have been using Ableton Live (with Push 2), Octatrack MK2, Digitakt, Analog Rytm MK2 for a number of years now as well as a very wide range of modular synthesizers (which I have now sold for my own reasons and would not be interested in unless I had a much bigger budget).

​

I have some money saved up and want to purchase some hardware synthesizers. So far I have looked at a lot of demos and reviews but I'm having trouble narrowing everything down, also there are no music stores within a 3 hour drive where I would be able to try out the gear for myself.

​

I'd be very thankful if your recommendations would take into account some key aspects that are important to me, these include:

  • All options must be desktop synthesizers (no keyboard).
  • The possibility to sequence all of the synthesizers using the Octatrack, Digitakt and Ableton Push.
  • The synthesizers would preferably fit into an 19-inch rack.
  • The effects section is not a must, I will be using effects on Ableton (Valhalla, Convolution Reverb etc.) and in the future will get some dedicated effects processors.
  • Should have a good and sturdy build quality, would much prefer metal over plastic.
  • Dedicated HW synthesizers for each of the sonic ranges (bass, pads, lead).
    • Bass synthesizer should be able to produce deep warm creamy tones as well as 303-type sounds and distorted industrial techno inspired sounds.
    • Pads synthesizer should be able to produce warm, nostalgic sounding pads as well as bright/metallic ones. Glide and a lot of modulation options are preferable.
    • Lead synthesizer should sound warm and weighted.
  • The overall combined price should not exceed 6000 Eur.

​

The demos I enjoyed the most so far were:

  • OB-6 (I am 99% certain I will buy this synth, but am confused which role it should play in the sonic range, perhaps lead?)
  • Virus TI2 (Really enjoyed the possibility of producing pads and acid-like basslines)
  • Waldorf Blofeld / Korg Minilogue XD (seems like good and cheap options for pads)
  • Moog Minitaur / Sirin / Sub Phatty (seems like good options for warm and rich bass, but unsure if I'll be able to create acid-like sounds with them)

​

Synths I know nothing about but heard they were quite good:

  • Prophet 12
  • Rev2
  • Novation Peak
  • DeepMind 12D
  • Waldorf Iridium (seems like a good allrounder on paper, but a lot of people seem to dislike it)

​

Synths I do not want:

  • Analog 4 MKII
  • Digitone (had one, was not impressed)

​

I hope that this thread will prove useful to people with a similar needs.

Many thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/qu1etud
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Ambient Machines: 5 Synths and Devices f...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 01:31 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Squier Savings for Starters: Deals of th...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 01:31 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Trilling Synth DARP - Dreamy Dual Arpegg...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 11:55 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Squier Savings for Starters: Deals of th...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 01:57 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 13
Behringer Jam and Jam Play: Kick Out the...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Yesterday 01:57 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 17
PWM Preferences!
Last Post: SynthWizard
10-09-2026 11:49 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 16
In-browser video synthesizer (work in pr...
Last Post: SynthWizard
10-09-2026 10:31 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 15
Soniccouture reveal Scanner: Library
Last Post: SynthWizard
10-09-2026 08:20 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 22
Behringer Jam and Jam Play: Kick Out the...
Last Post: SynthWizard
10-09-2026 07:41 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 22