Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
seeking recommendations on audio gear for electronic/synth-oriented home musicians.
Staff
seeking recommendations on audio gear for electronic/synth-oriented home musicians.

So, looking for some general recommendations ....

Having recently reoriented myself towards analog to a degree, I recently created a mini-studio of sorts for myself. It consists of a Moog DFAM / Subharmonicon "double threat," a couple of custom made step sequencers and clock triggers, a couple small analog noise/sound modules with CV in/out, and a Yamaha MG 10XU mixer, feeding everything into my PC where of course my DAW and whatnot resides.

I chose the Yamaha mixer bc I like Yamaha and bc the USB can handle up to 24-bit/192kHz audio depth, where many are limited to 16-bit/48kHz. But one thing that annoys me about it is the slew of microphone oriented XLR channels. Four of them with ONLY XLR inputs. I have exactly 1 XLR cable and almost never use microphones, so it's like four channels are currently wasted. I suppose I can get converter cables, but I'm drowning in cables, and tired of having to buy more. Browsing for other mixers, I noticed this first-four-channels-as-XLR seems to be a pretty standard design. (Why is that, exactly?) Anyway, can anyone recommend other decent but not exorbitantly priced mixers that have high audio depth USB but accept more than just XLR on the first four channels?

I'm also interested in recommendations for FX pedals that you really like for synth.

Been looking thru a lot of Electro-Harmonix, there's so many. I have a clock trigger coming from them, but when it comes to choosing some FX pedals -- esp bc I can only afford one or two right now, tops -- I have a hard time. I know this is very individual to what one wants to do, but I'm just curious about some pedals that people really enjoy using with their synths. I'm probably *least* interested in Flangers, Phasers, or Chorus. Delays/sustainers/loopers could be cool -- esp if they do something sort of novel or odd. I'd love to find a standalone multimode filter of some kind with CV in and out, but that's drifting away from fx pedals more into eurorack territory I suppose. I like distortion, and would a really crazy over the top Fuzz pedal or fx unit. With any of these, CV is a real perk, though I might grab a cheap expression pedal at some point. I like reverb as much as anyone, but I have a ton of decent digital reverbs, so if I were to pay for a reverb unit it'd have to be something kind of special or uniquely rich.

Thanks guys.

www.edwardewald.com/blog

submitted by /u/___ee___
[link] [comments]