Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Portable Recorders are you using and is the Zoom h5 the right choice for me?
Staff
Which Portable Recorders are you using and is the Zoom h5 the right choice for me?

Hi guys

I am currently looking for a sound recorder. The budget is around 200 €. It will probably be used as follows:

5% of the time I will record sounds in the world such as hitting a table, strumming a guitar, humming, capturing ambience or something else. Basically experiment around, capturing sounds that may or may not be used in a production at some point.

95% of the time I will record my synthesizer's line out (Deepmind 12) either without having to turn my PC or just connected directly to Ableton live via USB.

Zoom h5 seems like a good choice for me as it should be decent for capturing sounds but crucially also able to record synths with a small noise floor (most crucial). It also seems great that it can be powered by USB and send the audio signal directly to my pc.

I have no hands-on experience, however with Portable Recorders and I would be more than happy to hear your feedback. Would I, for instance, be 99% as happy with the Zoom H1n that costs less than half? Supposedly, Tascam dr40 should also have a nice sound, but it seems that it cannot be used as an external interface for a PC.

Is there anything else that I am missing in my considerations? Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

(Slightly reposted from r/WeAreTheMusicMakers as I haven't received much feedback there)

submitted by /u/DJ-VU
[link] [comments]