Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Starter synth for jamming
Staff
#1
0
0
Starter synth for jamming

Hello synth buddies!

I'm getting my brother in law his first synth for his bday! He has been playing with his daughter's toy keyboard and loving it. They are looking into some keyboards and I was hoping I might convert him to the church of synthesizers.

What would you recommend for a good starter synth under 4-500 USD. I feel like he would appreciate one with jamming capabilities, so something that could sequence a backing or rhythm track and allow you to play on top. Is that a tall order?

Other factors would be smaller portable size, polyphony, and general ease of use / shallow learning curve. I don't think he'll be a stickler on sound quality.

I was looking at the novation mininova and the akai mpk mini play, but I am realizing neither of those have sequencers / looping capabilities.

Other thoughts are a volca FM and the elecktron model cycles. I think since he's familiar with the traditional keyboard the cycles might be a hard sell but it looks fun!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

P.s. in the absence of any other options, I'll probably gift him my Roland Gaia

submitted by /u/itsnotaustin
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Melbourne Instruments ROTO-CONTROL: 60+ ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
music2me: Online Music School with Live ...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
Roland update Zenology GX for iPad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Volt Gen 2 & Volt Max interfaces from Un...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Novation launch the FLpad
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Phoenix from Spitfire Audio & BT
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7
Sonuscore The Pulse: Synth Wave & Epic A...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3
Strymon launch the La Brea
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4
Sync Audio release MegaMorph
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 05:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5