Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digitakt or Digitone from current setup?
Staff
Digitakt or Digitone from current setup?

Hi all,

TL;DR: would you recommend (1) a Digitakt for recording and playing MIDI, that I can then also use to record external synths back into for layering multiple presets, or (2) a Digitone for recording and playing MIDI, that then provides basically 4 additional FM synths?

I am currently having great fun with my setup, consisting of a Volca Keys, Volca FM, Model:Samples all hooked into a mixer, on top of which I use an NTS-1 for external FX, using the send/return loop of my mixer. I also use an Arturia Keystep to play one or more of the Volcas. I use a MIDI thru box for, well, the MIDI routing.

There is a limitation as I can't record all of the MIDI into the Model:Samples as it's monophonic (so I will use 2 or 3 of the 6 tracks if I want to play one Volca polyphonically). Alternatively I just record into the Volcas but then I don't really keep full 'songs' in one place, which I'd prefer.

I'm sure that either of the Digitakt and Digitone lets me record the Keystep live, and play the Volcas simultaneously. But, I have this Volca FM with endless presets. So I imagine I could use the Digitakt to play back MIDI to the Volca FM, then record its output back into the Digitakt, and so being able to layer multiple FM sounds from the Volca (maybe even still keeping all the MIDI patterns recorded). Or I get a digitone which then gives essentially 4 FM synths, which are surely more easy to tweak than the fiddly volca knobs. But, 'only' 4 MIDI tracks.

What would you recommend? Am I missing something here?

submitted by /u/Holdwin
[link] [comments]