Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice for a beginner system // expanding the moog semi modular desktop trio
Staff
advice for a beginner system // expanding the moog semi modular desktop trio

Hi guys,

i like many people over the last year or so have had a lot of time on my hands and have decided to dip my toes into the world of modular. For context, I was trying to make electronic music on logic for a while but playing several physical instruments i felt it was lacking any of my personality, also, the process of constantly stop starting and rigid workflow of daws becomes very tedious very quickly.

I started off with a digitakt and a behringer td3 clone (no hate i know they're a sus company but a PhD student's got a tight budget...). After getting to know them I took a big step and got my hands on the moog mother trifecta (not sure if there is an official term so to be clear the m32, subh, and dfam). That was a while ago and while I don't want to make the mistake of buying gear faster than I can get to know what I have, but as with anyone getting into modular my mind constantly wanders to how i could expand my new 'system.' The semi-modular synths i already have are powerful machines in they're right but i think with a few simple modules it could become a lot more powerful.

With that in mind i have been thinking about what modules i would get first, and trying not to focus on specific modules but rather what extra functionality i would like that i don't already have. i have played guitar for a long time and have a lot of effect pedals, some work well with the synths and some not so well, so i think i would avoid buying any effects and go for modules that give me more control and open up and the synths, and allow them to effect each other more. some source of controlled randomness would be great so a turing machine type module? i think a quantizer with at least 3 if not 4 independent pitch channels, and something to offset the voltages into the moog scale. i know erica synths make a module specifically for this, but there must be a more efficient way to do that than with 4 of those, are there any precision adders/subtractors that could do this in a. single module? More lfo's, and attenuators/verters seem essential, and everyone keeps telling me i can never have enouugh vca's but i am not sure i completely understand why quite yet?

those extra functionalities would really add a lot of power to the system and i think would be a good starting point. i would also need a case to putt these modules in. my moogs are currently housed in the 3 tier stand and i don't plan on getting a case that can hold all of them.... yet Wink. i was looking at the happy endings kit from tip top audio, they seem like much better value than the smaller cases for only a small amount more, but i would love to hear if anyone knows of any small cheap cases!

the music i would like to make would be a techno, more on the industrial hard end. i am also playing with introducing more dubstep and other uk electronic genres into my jams. artists i have been listening to for inspo include burial, four tet, skream, kode9, wookie, mala etc. (shoutout dubsteb warz, if u know u know)

thanks to anyone who made it this far into this long post, thanks in advance for any comments!

submitted by /u/sharrxtt
[link] [comments]