Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me talk my family into a Sledge
Staff
Help me talk my family into a Sledge

[edit: I realize this post made it look to some like I’m simply trying to justify GAS and sure there is always some truth to that when it comes to researching cool things, but my intention really is to get something that will work well for our kid, with plenty of room to grow. Not, “my spouse doesn’t agree with me” .. in fact the points she makes are perfectly valid, which is why I’m trying to sort through them.. in what I thought was a light hearted way. For a bit more background see https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/polr60/no_stupid_questions_weekly_discussion_september/hd8eqvq/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf&context=3 ]

Hey all, in the quest for a keyboard / synth for my tweenish daughter, I stumbled across a great deal on a soundlogic Sledge and omg am I in love. The sound is so fat and rich and I know key action and so on is many cuts above what we could afford otherwise. Only option in same range is a well loved Korg Triton or possibly a Roland Fantom if I can find one at decent price.

So first, I genuinely think that my daughter would get a lot out of actually learning how sound is shaped playing with physical knobs and such rather than just picking some pre programmed sounds out of a library.

But .. my wife is (and you can prob guess what comes next) hung up on the feeling that she needs to have good emulation of traditional acoustic intrusments .. it should sound like a piano, organ etc.. now, Ive been through the argument about how a synthesizer is actually a REAL instrument by itself, and almost every well loved piece of music out there in last forty years has analog synth in it tbf, and she’s right in the sense that our daughter is using it for composing and so on, so it would be good for her to be able to write stuff with acoustic instruments in mind.. but to me, that’s more more about timbre and so on then it is about “piano” or “Hammond b3” as much as I love those sounds too. (Also we have an actual piano, though it won’t fit in my daughters bedroom.) And of course she can just use it a controller, but we want this to be mostly screen/computer free.

Ok, a long way around to asking whether folks have any experience to share or very ideally, examples of sampled piano, drums, strings, etc.. I shares some excellent tutorials from YouTube, but those aren’t terribly convincing when it comes to replicating traditonal sounds.

And again, yes, i know that this is like asking for a Telecaster to sound like an L-OO, but I’m not the one who needs convincing, lol.

(Please excuse typos, plunking this out on ipad and Reddit is really balky rn.)

submitted by /u/milestparker
[link] [comments]