Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owners of both Grandmother and Matriarch, some questions
Staff
Owners of both Grandmother and Matriarch, some questions

Is either one brighter than the other when viewed on a frequency analyzer, like through a DAW?

Do they overdrive the same amount when the oscillator knob is turned past 12 o'clock? How does that compare also with one and two oscillators (two only for a fair comparison since Matriarch has more oscillators).

Before plunking down the money for the Matriarch, I just wanted to make sure I don't lose the core sound quality of the Grandmother. Seems like one of the determining factors for that is the oscillators reaching higher frequencies when the cutoff filter is fully open (maybe a sign of better electronics in general throughout the synth too). From Starsky Carr's various comparisons, the Minimoog Model D is highest, Grandmother next, Sub 37 after. On the Model D's manual it states 10Hz-32kHz for the cutoff and 10Hz to 20kHz for the Grandmother. For the Matriarch, there doesn't seem to be any mention of it anywhere.

Are there any other core sound quality things that I need to consider? I "mainly" (not always) want it for classic, musical bass sounds, like ones we normally hear in popular music since the 80's till today. The Grandmother has been great for that. I don't want to lose that so I want to make sure the Matriarch does all of that exactly, but also allows for many other kinds of sounds!

Other observations... I've only had the Grandmother for five days now and the lower C# key is creaking a lot and feels different. The keys around that one key has very, very slight creaking also, but not as much as that one C# key.

One big difference I noticed is that the envelope on the Grandmother is not as open as the Matriarch's. Someone recommended to work around this by routing the + Env Out to Attenuator’s Input and Attenuator’s Output to Cutoff In. That works great, but then I lose the attenuator for other things.

I am already feeling the need for more functionality, just simply another LFO even since, lately, I've been using it more as a third oscillator. On the Matriarch, not only do you get kind of one more LFO, but it already has even more oscillators to begin with so it's just more of everything.

It's nice they now have a switch for envelope retrigger after a firmware update on the Grandmother.

submitted by /u/OSC-1
[link] [comments]