Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio equipment work-flow
Staff
Audio equipment work-flow

This a repost from r/audioproduction.

Hey reddit!

After many hours of research I’m stuck and thought I’d throw this out for discussion and possible solution. I’ve combed the internet and talked to my sales rep at Sweetwater who made a suggestion that didn’t work out. Got/found some good advice from him and the web that I tried and had varying levels of success but it’s not what I’m looking for. Sorry for the long post but I want to provide as much info as possible/

What I want to do:

I have several semi-modular synths and stereo/analog pedals that I want to record into my DAW. For example, plug a Moog Mother 35 into a Zen Delay and record that into Logic Pro X (or any DAW) via audio interface (Focusrite 18i20). In a perfect scenario I would have my pedals (4) plugged into in/out then route the synths via an Aux track (using i/o plugin). I am able to route synth(s) to Aux and play back sound routed through external pedals via sends, but the quality is not that good. The Zen Delay effects are weak and yet the signal is strong going into Logic. Not much distortion or noise but quality is mediocre compared to running the pedals straight into my monitors (synth>pedal>monitors). That combo is amazing! I need to find a way to record it! I also tried synth>pedal>DAW>monitors and got the same poor results.

I thought I might need to reAmp but my sales rep told me that I don’t need that because my interface accepts line as well as instrument inputs. He told me that he’s doing the same thing as me only with Ableton Live and not having issues. If I were to go the reAmp route then I’d need to get 4 boxes (one for each pedal) and that’s gonna cost over $1000. Id rather find a different solution if I’m gonna spend that much. Maybe a mixer into Focusrite? I also asked my sales rep about just recording directly into a Zoom F6 or other field recorder and he told me I’d definitely need to reAmp to do that.

So, I need a work flow. I don’t do performances. I mostly do sound design and record directly into Logic then mix there. I do a combination of outboard synths and pedals for effects. I also use a few plug in’s and VST in Logic. I have a bunch of analog gear that in a perfect scenario I’d be able to route everything through the Focusrite interface and record into a Daw.

Suggestions? Budget is around $500-$700 if I need to get a mixer or recorder.

Thanks!!

submitted by /u/dreamabyss
[link] [comments]