Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hardware sequencers that get closest to the PSQ-1684
Staff
hardware sequencers that get closest to the PSQ-1684

Lectric Panda's PSQ-1684 has been my favorite sequencer for a few years now.

Although I don't actually expect to find some unit that literally does every single thing the psq-1684 does and I realise that some aspects of the psq would probably need a dedicated module, I'm wondering what would be the closest match in terms of its structure and functionality.

On a first glimpse Rene 2 seems to be somehow similar, but I'm wondering what else might be out there.

Basically I'm curious to know if anyone knows about an hardware Pulse Generator/Sequencer/Quantizer (the last bit being the least essential) that can cover all sorts of pulse-based synthesis and allows for deep modulation of the pulses' behaviour.

Of course PSQ is quite a bit more than this. In case you're not familiar, a few of its characteristics:

it has a regular master clock past which every pulse generator will do an ulterior clock division that can be deeply programmed; these divisions can be combined with euclidian sequencing as well.

Every pulse generator can be set to trigger rows, columns and differently shaped group of pulse generators (allowing for even more complex pulse's programming).

Pulse-wise, clock division is not the only programmable thing, every pulse gets its set of modulable parameters including its speed, pulse width, phase, and delay.

It can do "topographic sequencing" a la Grid.

It can do klee sequencing and shift register-based sequencing.

Every pulse generator and every step in the sequencers can send triggers. The steps don't only send velocity and pitch but a programmable modulation signal as well.

Every sequencer can be set to follow different kind of behaviours (your usual movement options can be set to get triggered by the pulse's onset, offset or both, you can have it skipping a given number of steps etc.).

It can act as a sample and hold unit where the holding gets triggered by a pulse (this can be used as any other S&H module of course, combined with the fact that the psq has 4 quantizers it can very easily lead to generative sequencing).

submitted by /u/Knoqz
[link] [comments]