Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Gain staging synths
Staff
#1
0
0
Gain staging synths

Does it make a difference as to whether I set the channel gains on my mixer to 0 and then calibrate my synths’ master volumes/levels to make the average signal 0dB on the VUs, or if I turn the master to an arbitrary setting and then simply calibrate gain for a near-zero average reading on the VUs?

Also, any other general gain staging tips or advice for a synth/pedal/analog mixer setup? I noticed there’s a lot of back and forth between unbalanced and balanced connections, but for the most part short cable runs seems to make this irrelevant. I also have a floating ring connection in a couple of my TRS cables coming out of my synths and going into my balanced mixer, but the mixer manual claims the 1/4” connectors can support balanced or unbalanced, so not sure if that’s the reason I haven’t (yet) experienced noise from this or if I haven’t played it loud enough on my outputs to notice it.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Real_Mulberry_8585
[link] [comments]
Reply


Forum Jump:

[-]
Private Messages
Please login or register to use this functionality.

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Latest Threads
Boss launch the EX-4 Effects Expander
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:42 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3
Native Instruments update Maschine
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:42 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3
Shear Electronics Reliq Meets Anthony Ma...
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 03:42 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
Finalist 2 from Tim Exile
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 02:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 8
Two notes to launch the Captor X Pro
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 02:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 8
Antares release AutoTune Advanced
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 02:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 9
Expressive E update the Osmose
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 02:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
Synchro Arts unveil VocAlign 7
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 02:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Polyend introduce the Loop
Last Post: SynthWizard
Today 02:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5