Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disability and Synths
Staff
Disability and Synths

There's been a lot of back and forth on the new Boutiques, and I'd like to talk about synth design from a different viewpoint to a lot of people here.

Firstly, I don't expect synths to be made specifically for me. I'm a grown man. I know there are options.

At the same time, I don't understand why to some people, Roland are beyond reproach about the size of the controls on their new synths.

I have multiple sclerosis. It's an autoimmune disease that causes demyelination of nerve cells. It also means that I'm clumsy as hell and have weakness in my hands. Fine motor skills are extremely difficult and cause me to be fatigued much faster. My eyesight is affected.

Small controls either make synths harder for me to use and I can't use them for as long, or I simply can't use them. If I can use them, sounds are harder to dial in. Music making becomes a chore when it's usually my way of staying sane.

It can be difficult for people with a whole host of other issues too. Badly designed, cluttered or cramped interfaces when controls are tightly packed can be difficult to navigate for those with visual impairment.

A small interface affects a lot of people (who probably don't speak up) for reasons other than being "giant handed man-children". Disabled musicians are probably not a huge part of the community, but they are part of it.

The counter-argument from a lot of people about size of the controls is that Boutiques are supposed to be cute little space savers. I get it. Most people have less space than ever. It's nice to have a little row of Boutiques that fit on your desk.

But I think Roland Boutiques have become a meme for the size of their sliders and pots for good reason. When do we start to say "this is too small"? Do we really have to pack in as many tiny devices as possible into our studios or living spaces?

There are other ways of making devices fit into modern day living than to make microscopic controls.

Anyway, I just want to remind synth manufacturers and others in the community that not all of us have the same needs and abilities. Most of the things that can be implemented to help disabled people is often just good design practice and also benefits musicians.

So when somebody complains about the lack of clear, high contrast interfaces or that the controls are too small, maybe they have good reason.

Edit: I just found this link on Roger Linn's website: https://takeitaway.org.uk/news/adaptive-musical-instrument-guide/

(Thanks to the Redditor who mentioned the Linnstrument.) Thought the information might help some people who have mentioned having issues.

submitted by /u/Bantam80
[link] [comments]