Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound design philosophy
Staff
Sound design philosophy

I had a bit of an epiphany this weekend that I'm going to try to put into words here and I wanted your thoughts on it. It's something I've been thinking about for a while, but I had a big shift on it while messing around this weekend.

Normally, when I sit down at my rig, I come at it in a couple of different ways. Sometimes I have an idea for a patch and I want to make it, sometimes I'm just kind of exploring and i make a patch out of it, and sometimes I'm working on a song and i make a patch to fit it. In all cases, the end result is something I save for use later or use immediately or frustration at getting neither.

This has worked great for me with my Minibrute2, Argon8, and soft synths... but it's REALLY missed the mark with my OpSix.

I haven't been jelling with it. I sit down and can't seem to get the sound from my head to the hardware or, when just out there exploring, I don't find that I make anything all that interesting enough to be worth saving for later use.

Recently, though, I stumbled on a video (that, I'm sorry, I don't remember who it was) where the guy demoing the OpSix used it in a completely different way than I had been using my stuff. Sure, he demoed some of his own patches and a lot of cool licks, but he spent a while just taking the initial patch and performing the controls on the fly.

Now, I'm no stranger to performance tweaking, but this struck me as something apart from that. My performance tweaking starts with and exisiting patch and then tweaks it at different parts of a song so that it isn't a static thing... this was not that. The tweaking was the patch.

I don't know... I'm sure many of you are reading this and saying "duh... welcome to synthesis, newbie", but I think there's more to it than that. When I sat down at my OpSix with the initialized patch going and started to actually truly play it while simultaneously patching it, with no intention of saving it to play later, the OpSix clicked for me in a way that I hadn't experienced before.

Anyway, I know this is rambley and good on you for reading this far... I don't know if I am conveying this feeling well, but I hope the I can pass even a little bit of this inspiration that I felt this weekend. <3

submitted by /u/the_puritan
[link] [comments]