Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking Controller Advice
Staff
Seeking Controller Advice

Synth noob here. Hope this thread doesn't suck. No ban pls. Ok here goes:

I'm in the market for a new MIDI controller. I will be using it for DAWs primarily, but I'm fine parting with pads and knobs for the most part, as I'm looking for a controller that can also control hardware synths eventually. I'm this close to purchasing a Keystep 32 for $159 CAD (~124 USD), which seems to be an alright deal, but I'm conflicted for a few reasons.

I don't know if 32 keys is enough — I'd like to opt for the Keystep 37 ($259 CAD ~ 202USD), but don't know if it the extra features justify a difference of about $100, especially considering products like the Midiplus x3 Mini ($135 CAD ~ 105 USD) which, for the most part, seems more fully featured than the Keystep 32, having a metal body, modulation slider lights, more knobs, and 37 keys. All around it's closer to the Keystep 37 for half the price. The big kicker for this keyboard seems to be that it gives up aftertouch, which seems to be something a lot of synth artists desire (it also features less robust arp and sequence features from what I understand). These are the two most attractive candidates to me right now as midi/synth controllers though.

I like the idea of being able to put something Keystep sized into a wooden desktop stand for use with hardware synths, but also using it on the go with my laptop. Is eyeing 'mini' controllers frivolous? And should I just be looking for something with at least 49 keys that's more fully featured?

So I'd like to ask what you would do if you were me— a beginner (in Canada), who'd like to get into synths. Is 32 too small? Do the five keys justify the price difference. Are the sacrifices of the Midiplus worth the money I'm saving? I'd really love to know your input!

submitted by /u/Gigabide
[link] [comments]