Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question on Bucket Brigade Delays (Doepfer A188-1D)
Staff
A question on Bucket Brigade Delays (Doepfer A188-1D)

I am thinking about getting a bucket brigade delay effects unit for my musical creations (including aspiring to become a vaporwave DJ).

[ YOU CAN SKIP THIS NEXT PART IF YOU LIKE ]

I was thinking about just getting a guitar stompbox, like for instamce the fantastic sounding MXR Carbon Copy Delay, since that's what I am familiar with and I also play the guitar. But I want more control. For instance, I want to add an effect on the repeats, like pitching the sound an octave up (it's a cool effect, each delay gets an octave higher), some kind of distortion (so that every repeat gets grittier really quickly), or just a volume pedal, acting like a feedback expression pedal. So then I found the Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo (thr new version is called the 1100 TT) by Electro Harmonix, which has a feedback out an in. It even has expression pedal options for every function it has.

But then I thought: Hey, I can get a modular bucket brigade delay effects unit! I have control over everything that way, and I can integrate it with my synthesizers etc and do all kinds of cool stuff I wanted to try out anyway (like flanging for example), and I have been interested in modular synths for a while.

[ THE PART YOU CAN SKIP ENDS HERE, PLEASE CONTINUE READING AFTER THIS LINE ^_^ ]

I then found the Doepfer BBD A188-1 D which is produced in Germany, where I live. It even has the same chip as the Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo, the Panasonic MN3005.

I can't find simple enough demonstrations online for a simple delay effect on the A188-1. The ones I have found mostly only have really spacy sounds with crazy games with the feedback or just show off flanging or have only really short delays. The demos where I was able to hear longer delays more clearly, it sounded very distorted, or at least seemingly.

How do guitar bucket brigade delay pedals get their sound? I know they must have a low pass filter to get rid of the clock noise (am I correct?), but other than that, how do the guitar bucket brigade delay pedals work? Why do they sound (seemingly) better? Can I get that sound with a Doepfer BBD A188-1 D and a low pass filter?

I would appreciate if you could help me in my quest of finding a delay effects unit!

submitted by /u/FloppyTheUnderdog
[link] [comments]