Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Groovebox advice needed
Staff
Groovebox advice needed

A while back I managed to repair and upgrade an old macbook pro, and ended up deciding to sell some gear and buy a maschine mk3 and komplete kontrol A49 - perhaps foolishly putting all my eggs in one basket. Now that macbook has died in a way that I think is beyond salvaging, my MK3 and A49 are bricks and I can't afford a new PC/macbook. Therefore my plan is to sell these devices and get a hardware-only solution for my music-making hobby.

And it is just a hobby, so whatever I get doesn't need to produce complete, polished songs. It just needs to be fun and a mixture of synth and sampling. My favourite music to make is techno that is on the dubbier side.

The reason I'd like it to be more that just a sampler is that I previously had and sold a digitakt, having found the endless scrolling for, and organising of samples to be a mood killer.

The one item of gear I never sold and still have is an old volca sample.

So far I'm thinking:

Polyend Tracker - I do like the Elektron workflow, which I'm told is tracker-like, and the polyend does seem to have a lot of features after all the updates.

MPC one - DAW in a box, maybe too focused on sampling for my tastes.

TR8s - Looks like a lot of fun, but predominantly a drum machine - it has synthesis though, but does that include a "chord machine"?

Roland MC101 - Has a lot of what I need, but looks uninspiring and maybe a little limited in terms of size/number of tracks. A toy?

Roland MV-1 - Seems like a DAW in a box, again, has what I need but looks very uninspiring.

Digitone - Always wanted one, but as a groovebox it's limited, however combining with Volca Sample might make for a more complete solution? The Elektron workflow definitely works for me.

I'd welcome any other suggestions. my budget will be around £500, and most of these can be bought for this amount used.

submitted by /u/pigletscarf
[link] [comments]