Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun is underrated.
Staff
Fun is underrated.

I thought my GAS was getting out of control when I bought my TR8-S this week. I didn't need a sample player as I already have a digitakt, volca sample, circuit and deluge. I already had Roland sounds with my mc-505 and R70. I could bypass the 90's workflow by controlling the older machines with the drumbrute impact. The impact and volca kick brought the analog fatness and the korg er-1 and volca drum brought the weirdness. To top it off, the model:cycles brought the FMness.

The thing is, I wasn't really having fun. As soon as I turned on the TR-8s everything literally and figuratively lit up. The machine is fun. There is plenty of depth when designing sounds and assigning effects but once you get playing there are just so many options to keep you entertained which keeps things dynamic.

That's not to say that there's nothing I don't like about it. My hodgepodge of old and new gear made for some unusual, crunchy and unexpected sounds whereas the TR8-S has a bright polish that comes off sounding a bit slick for me. I hate the clicky buttons and stupid blinking lights. But the important thing is that it is fun as hell.

So here are my fun ratings of all my gear from no fun to fun af.

Tr8-s - funaf

DBimpact - limited fun

Model: cycles - no fun

Digitakt - funish (see analog 4)

Volca kick - funish

Volca drum - fun (would be funaf if it was 2 or 3X the size. I think korg could do well releasing a volca "max" series with 64 step sequencers)

Volca sample - not much fun Volca FM - no fun

Analog four - funaf (I wish digitakt had a similar performance mode. That would be an insane update)

Minilogue xd - funish (sure, I need to learn more about sound design but the A4 rarely sounds too crappy when I randomly fuck around while the xd often sounds worse the more I noodle)

Microfreak - fun (it should be funaf but often leaves me feeling empty)

OG Circuit - fun (and great design but I hit the fun ceiling pretty quick)

Deluge - no fun (the lack of a screen. The shortcut text is illegible. I will never be inspired to play it enough to remember them let alone all the button combos)

Mc-505 - fun for performance (once you get past the laborious kit building, sequencing and sound design)

R70 - should be a lot more fun but limited by shortcomings and complexities due to its age

Nts-1 - not fun but not not fun

Electribe er-1 - nice simple fun for its age

Moog little phatty - funish

Anyway, that's me. What are your thoughts on the funness of your gear? What do you think makes gear fun? Cheers!

submitted by /u/the_tendril_zone
[link] [comments]