Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for modulation advice (zadar, ornament/crime)
Staff
Looking for modulation advice (zadar, ornament/crime)

Hi everyone

I recently built my first Eurorack here:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1789866

The Neutron will be leaving the rack once I get more modules. Right now I am looking at expanding modulation since following that I will be buying modules like Monsoon/Typhoon, Rings, Plaits and those love modulation. Other relevant gear I have are BSP, Keystep 37, and Analog Four MK2.

I was holding out on a Quadrax but that might be a long time until they are back in stock. I am now mostly looking at Zadar and Ornament and Crime as they both appear to be useful as modulation via envelopes but also pseudo LFO via cycling (unipolar anyway). I have done a lot of research and am leaning towards Zadar for a few reasons

1. Zadar offers way more complex modulation than Ornament and what I currently have. For more simple modulation I already have a few envs +lfos in Neutron + Lifeforms and Ataxia on top. Zadar seems like the best overall fit and will be even more useful as I add more modules.
  2. It fits perfectly next to my Ataxia which, at least for now, is convenient as I do not need to remove the Neutron yet. (I think when I remove the Neutron I will add a Quadigy so I don't miss the adsr envs)
  3. Zadar is already getting hard to find so I am more tempted to buy it before it may be impossible to get for who knows how long. Ornament seem like they will not have availability issues since they have several manufacturers.

I know some of this is personal preference but for what I have and where I am going Zadar would be a good option? I feel I can always add Ornament later for less cost and later be able to make more use of its various apps.

One question I did have about Zadar. I read it added in firmware the ability to hold sustain with a gate instead of just running off triggers. Does this work well? It being a little more "playable" via controller would make it even better.

I am at the stage of being more confident in what I want but am still learning so thanks for any input!

submitted by /u/statikcat001
[link] [comments]