Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Guidance in Deciding Pros/Cons of Mother-32 & Grandmother
Staff
Need Guidance in Deciding Pros/Cons of Mother-32 & Grandmother

Before I begin, let me address some of the comments I’m sure to get. Yes, I gave in to GAS and didn’t spend the appropriate time mastering every instrument before getting another. I have plenty of analog gear for now. There’s definitely redundancy in my setup and any future purchases down the road would be something vastly different like one of the following - a standalone sampler: Digitakt, SP404MK2, MPC X, a digital synth: Hydrasynth, Modwave/OpSix, Digitone, Argon, Blofeld, or an 88 key weighted/graded hammer action MIDI controller.

Here’s my primary question: How many of you have both the Grandmother and Mother-32? How are you using them and what are you likes/dislikes about each instrument? Do you have experience using them with the other gear I mention later? If so, did you find one a better fit than the other? I’m interested in making industrial, film score type music, maybe some EDM.

Here’s some background: I stumbled across a mixture of awesome deals, Patch & Tweak Moog, and a healthy helping of GAS. I bought a bunch of gear to try out to see what I like and how well it would fit in my workflow. Between some 48 month financing, Christmas gifts and amazingly good used deals, I acquired all this gear for pretty cheap. I got 2 DFAMs (which I love), a SubHarmonicon (which is unique and it’s growing on me), a Mother-32 and a Grandmother (I haven’t had much of a chance to use these patched to my other gear).

I have about 2 weeks left to return the Mother-32 or the Grandmother, so I don’t have a huge amount of time to dedicate to learning every in an out of both synths and how they benefit my setup. I got the Mother-32 for $500 and the Grandmother for $700 so there’s not a huge savings returning one over another.

Patch & Tweak Moog really got me interested in the capabilities of patching multiple devices. My only analog synth prior to this is a Polybrute which has lots of internal patching but you can’t patch to other semi Modulars or Eurorack. I also came across a Minibrute 2S really cheap that I wanted because of the price, the patch-bay, its use by a producer I like, the ability to use multiple wave forms blended on one oscillator and because VCO 2 has a Sine wave.

Money isn’t really an issue, if I cut something from the lineup, the funds would go towards other studio related gear once I’ve learned what I have.

I’m confident I want to keep the DFAMs, SubH, MB2S, and PB. The three devices that kind of overlap in my arsenal are the M-32, GM, and MB2S. I’ve got 2 weeks until I have to decide whether I’m returning the M-32, the GM, neither or both, so I’m relying on guidance from more experienced people.

I will be using these instruments for recording and not live performances. With all the patching capabilities, I’m trying to decide if there’s a valid reason to keep both the GM and the M-32. I’m looking at both their use as solo instruments, but more importantly how they can expand what my DFAMs, SubH and MB2S can do as well as how those instruments can expand what the M32 and GM can do.

The MB2S sounds a bit different from the GM, but hook up a keyboard and a reverb pedal you’ve got a similar dual oscillator mono synth. The M-32 has a lot of the same sequencing abilities as the MB2S, but I do like the M-32 form factor and how I can have all four of my Moogs in a 4-tier tower. I was hoping to have enough time to really try out all this gear and make a decision, but I just don’t have the time before my return periods end in about 2 weeks.

So if you got great deals on used gear and you’re not hurting for cash, would you return the GM and/or the M-32 and use the money for something different like a nicer MIDI controller, a drum machine, digital synth, sampler, etc. Or do you keep one/both because of what they can do alone/patched to all my other gear?

submitted by /u/CorruptDinosaur
[link] [comments]