Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got the Behringer MS-1 in the mail today!
Staff
Got the Behringer MS-1 in the mail today!

Not gonna bother with a picture, there’s tons online, but I’ll write some. This is my first Behringer synth, but certainly not my first piece of Behringer equipment, they basically furnished my entire music “””studio””” in high school, one $50 piece of junk at a time. First impression is that they’re definitely improving on their build quality. I’m sure this was demonstrated on the Deepmind already, but I’m very impressed with the keybed for a $300 synth. The sliders feel good too, the only thing that feels bad is the 3-way mod wheel, but I’m guessing it’s the same design of the original, just feels flimsy. The keytar attachment feels solid, I was rocking out with it for a good hour or so and it didn’t feel dangerous at all.

Sound-wise it sounds big. I’ve no experience with the original but the oscillator is pleasing and the modulation options are varied, including PWM and FM. Multiple shapes from the VCO at once is nice, and not a feature I can recall seeing on many monosynths. The sub-osc is nice and deep, makes up for the single oscillator.

It’s got CV out and in, I haven’t connected it to my eurorack yet but I’m hoping to try that out this weekend, because the keys are much much nicer than a keystep.

The power supply sucks, personally I hate the flimsy little 2.1mm jacks and want IEC connectors on everything, but that’s just not how most stuff is these days so I can’t really knock it for that too much, even my Moog Sirin has one.

Overall it’s decent at $329 but if you can get a 20% off deal and grab it for $264 it’s a no brainer, very fun and immediately accessible monosynth with great sound and good potential as a controller for other synths too. I’ve been playing it all afternoon through a Malekko Downer wavefolder, Strymon Ola chorus, and Boss RV-5 modulated reverb.

I preordered from Musicians Friend some time back, in the USA, for anyone wondering about availability. Ask any questions and I’ll do my best to answer!

submitted by /u/hitmewithmuzak
[link] [comments]