Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamaha Montage Questions
Staff
Yamaha Montage Questions

Hello fellow synth lovers,I am thinking about upgrading to a Montage 6 from a MOXF 6 - stumbled across a good used piece and would like to ask a few questions to someone who is using one.

I have been investigating facts around it, however, there are a few questions I have not been able to find answer to (and I would like to get the nice piece before someone else buys it).

• How long does it take to load a user sample library? (Size and time experience would be great! The MOXF takes 30-45 minutes to load nearly 1 GB of samples to its own memory. Is that improved on the Montage?) EDIT: Managed to find the answer - "flash" was the critical keyowrd. It should be 10x faster, here is a report of 500 MB file being loaded in 5 minutes. https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/flash-loading-time
  • Is it possible to perform mapping of samples across velocity ranges and key ranges on the keys, or one needs to use external tools (like John Melas tools)
  • With the Yamaha Connect, is it possible to export also patterns, or just songs? (Found just the mentions song export, however the pattern sequencer functionality was added later through a firmware update, so maybe the capability has been added as well.)
  • With the Yamaha Connect, is it possible to also upload (import to Montage) songs or patterns? (That would be awesome! I have been missing the sequencer dump functionality on MOXF. Somehow, I get more inspired by the playing the keyboard without a computer, however later I like to import the things to DAW and work with them further - and the transfetr of MIDI files over USB is a bit annoying.) EDIT2: In article from 2017, there is mentioned it was probably not possible to upload the song back https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-montage-7 However, it might have changed since then.
  • How do you find the quality of the synth sounds compared to MOXF or Motif? (It is personal preference and not a big deal - I am not particularly fond of the factory synth patches on MOXF, however I love the guitars and wind instruments. Currently, stores in my area do not have a Montage at store to play - they had, but are out of stock now - estimatedly in 1-2 months of restock) EDIT3: The FAQ on Yamaha site states it has all the sounds from Motif series. So the sounds are probably the same.
  • Anything else that surprised you in a good or bad way?
  • Does it have more space for user presets than the MOXF?

Every advice is greatly appreciated!

submitted by /u/Atried
[link] [comments]