Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on circuit as just a synth?
Staff
Thoughts on circuit as just a synth?

I am looking to purchase a second portable synth. I already have a volca keys and wanted to add another small form portable synth to a small jam rig.

I sequence the keys externally so I want ideally midi in and out to chain the keys. Or at least midi in and I can split midi if needed.

My first thought was volca fm or even a craft synth 2.

Both sound pretty good but need hooking up for sound design, however can be manipulated on the hardware.

I then saw novation circuit second hand are comparably priced to the above. Yet has a mono and poly synth on different midi channels.

My question is if anyone has experience in using the circuit purely as synth engine without using internal sequencer in a setup? It might seem odd to use the circuit like this but I have a library of songs and patterns ready and set to go. A 2nd and 3rd synth channel would be great at the price but I am unsure how the circuit would fit in with this setup or whether a dedicated small synth as the 2 above would be a better solution.

I have read about the macro controls, but they can be assigned to whatever control I wish as far as I can tell. The single output for external fx would be a pain but if the synth is good enough could be overlooked. Also shared controls for the 2 channels could be annoying but again overlooked if the synth engine is good enough.

Hope this makes sense to someone.. who could offer an opinion on the viability on using the circuit as a stand alone synth.

Thanks all.

submitted by /u/IAMTYLERDERPEN
[link] [comments]