Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New music using Moog's Grandmother, DFAM + Subharmonicon
Staff
New music using Moog's Grandmother, DFAM + Subharmonicon

Hi all,

I thought you guys might be interested in checking out my new release. I always like to hear people's new music especially knowing what synthesizers were involved and how they were executed. This is my first release, so go easy on me.

On my synthesizer hunt over the last year, i ended up initially getting a Moog Grandmother 1 year ago - fell in love, and then got myself a DFAM a month later and then a Werkstatt, also. Then 2 months ago i got a Subharmonicon and also love that too. I love how these synthesizers work together and i never get bored of them, and the possibilities are simply endless, and coming from a 'band' background, it really felt like i was able to react in an instant meaningful way with Moog's layout.

Dreamless and Sleeping - https://youtu.be/ArNejZWhRsU

This first track heavily features the DFAM and Grandmother. Here we've got the DFAM hooked up to the Grandmother's spring reverb and and dry signal of the DFAM is holding down the backbone of the rhythm. I do layer some self-made recordings on top of the drums for a little variance in performance, like foley recordings banging different objects.

The low rumbles you (might) hear at the beginning are from the Grandmothers noise generator through lots of saturation/eq/compression, with some panning/tremolo.

The string-like sounds are from the grandmother here going in to the MatrixVerb from AirWindows. Really nice reverb, check it out. I recorded lots of single layers building up the chords. Each performance has it's own modulations and saturation, for a more 'alive' sound. I've almost always got my GM hooked up to an analogue delay for extra sauce.

Even and Onward - https://youtu.be/gwbk6LKZUh4

So, the kick featuring in this track has many layers of DFAM. One thing i love to do with the DFAM is hook it up to guitar amps and let it rip. I layer this back in with the original recording and some extra recordings of noise and plucky sounds from the DFAM. I don't usually distort it with pedals or anything - I just use a nice clean amp like an AC30. I also layered in a percussive hit using a floor tom/SM58 over this kick drum.

Snare is a real recorded snare - SM57

There's also more of the DFAM going through the GM's spring reverb in this track too.

The rest of the synth sounds are from many many layers of the Grandmother, through varying saturation paths and varying performances, creating a (hopefully) thick sound.

One interesting thing i did on this track though was with the lead line - you can pick it out at 0:42s over on the right. I had the lead line going from the GM in to the DFAM. A slow LFO from the GM is being used to modulate the tempo of the DFAM (fast to very fast - audio'ish rates) with the NOISE / VCF MOD turned to around 1 o'clock. The lead line is then coming straight from the GM and then also routed in to the Ext Audio input of the DFAM resulting in a beautifully rich texture/gritty lead.

The Forest and The Light - https://youtu.be/pGIDg1GAiRc

On this track the Subharmonicon is heavily featured as the main rhythmic synth, pulsing all the way from the beginning to the end. It's almost hypnotic. I recording a long 30 minute piece and then chopped it up. But it's all based around that one particular rhythm. I also have the Subharmonicon hooked up to the GM's spring reverb. There's around 8 layers of Subharmonicon running through the track, all playing together at once.

The kick again is also coming from the DFAM. Similar processing, using guitar amps layered in.

The pad-like synth in the background is the GM hooked up to the MatrixVerb once again with some flanging. Lots of layers here with varying saturation and modulation to make it more interested.

I hope this was mildly entertaining for anyone who might be thinking about buying a Moog and wanted to hear some tracks featuring them. I'd love to answer any questions you might have, so please let me know if you have any. Would also to hear you people have done too with your Moogs!

Peace,

Overrun

submitted by /u/thisisoverrun
[link] [comments]