Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where next? (2x System-500 sets, considering Nerdseq, ~40hp left)
Staff
Where next? (2x System-500 sets, considering Nerdseq, ~40hp left)

Never thought I'd have a Eurorack, but I got a crazy deal on the Roland System-500 complete set, then since I have an Oberheim DSX and want to use up the CV/Gate outputs, I bought another. A demo of it with a polyphonic patch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puRWbXS1giQ&ab_channel=100DollarHeadache

To fill the remaining 8hp between the sets, I got 2hp Buffs to be able to route pitch CV to both oscillator and filter, a 2hp Mix for mixing the four voices down to one output, and a 2hp Trim to place between the LFO and Hosa Knucklebones to get consistent modulation per voice.

Now I'm planning a third 84hp row: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1881622

Nerdseq looks to be what I need to take this live (I'm not at that point, but if I ever reach that, I'm not risking vintage Oberheim gear out there). The four audio channels will provide drums (or I can sync to my Analog Rytm) as well as sampled chord hits. I'll be getting the gamepad/MIDI and video expanders.

And now the additions. First, a tuner for live or polyphonic use. Next, the glaring omission of noise and S&H will be addressed with a Doepfer A-118-2 (or possibly a Mutable Kinks clone). Then, the Frap Tools Falistri seems to be a box of extras I could use when patching the system as independent monos - two function generators, two frequency dividers, ring mod, and slew. The frequency dividers got me to consider this over Maths. To get me to four sub-oscillators I'll probably build the Analog Lab Swiss Dual Sub 101A. The Acid Rain Chainsaw looks to be what I need to make one channel of the setup a chord channel, and will give me the supersaw my sound has been missing. With the 4hp left I think I can squeeze in a Joranalogue Fold 6 (or Synthrotek Fold if I'm up to assembling it). The goal here is to start differentiating the voices, with a chord channel, a lead channel with two VCOs now that one is freed up, a bass channel with wavefolder for more exotic timbres, and a percussion channel with noise. After all, Nerdseq is a tracker, and the original trackers had only four channels. It's almost like these limitations give me a framework and a direction.

I could save 10hp by giving up the gamepad input and video output, if there are modules I'm really missing, but I want to be sitting in bed with this hooked up to my TV (and a mixer's RCA outputs also connected so I can hear). I'd still have to get up to change the patch between songs, but songwriting in bed sounds like exactly what my workflow needs.

submitted by /u/S100hedake
[link] [comments]